Questionnn - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

Questionnn

We went to get our animals food today and I saw the cutest little black and white gerbil..my mom said she would get the little dude on friday and I beileve her.. BUT there's a slight problem. He was alone in the cage we saw him in, all alone.. and I know not to put him with Drake and Josh, but if I want to get him a little buddy then I know it won't be from the same cage. There was one that looked just like him in the next cage, but I dunno. We saw tanks we're getting Drake and Josh (20 gal) and we're gonna use their old cage for the new little guy. The question I have is will he be okay alone? Or should I do the split cage thing? And if I do, how? All the gerbils i've gotten were from the same litter. Thanks!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

i use the split cage method with benny (r.i.p)and milkshake ans it worked.

he will be fine on his own but if you want to get a buddy for him then do the split cage method. get some wire mesh(best one to pick) or strong card bored and put little holes in so the can smell each other, then split the cage diagnoly and set up each sides with water bottle and food bowl ect.

the use a gerbil and see if the divider is gerbil proof if it is put the gerbils in and if they fight when they see each other on the other sides they will never get along, if they dont then do the split cage for about a week and keep swapping the gerbils around so they can have a good sniff and get used to each others sent.

1st put them on neutral grounds(the stairs, a playpen ect) and use a glove or cup to stop them for fighting if they do, and dont let them to close to each other right away and gradually let them closer the each other if the goes well , take away the divider in the cage and i would mix up the dedding and put them both in and just keep watch for aleast 3 hours.

if they show sighs of fighting on the netural ground and the cage do the split cage method again, but if u have to keep doing the split cage again and again and again is not good cuz they wont ever get along.

sorry its soooo long lol. and i hope everthing goes well what ever you choose to do

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies

Last edited by AnimalMad; 08-31-2009 at 03:58 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Thanks I'll tell my mom about that.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

your welcome!

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies