Questions about two of my dwarf hamsters - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Questions about two of my dwarf hamsters

I have a total of four dwarf hamsters and two of them have weird things going on I'd like your opinions about. One of them, Pookie, is mutilating herself. She's pulled tufts of hair out all over her body. The other one, Winky, has one eye bulging out of her head. I'll try to get pics up shortly, but does anybody know right off what could be going on. They're most likely inbred so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:11 PM

First check the one who is ripping out hair for mites. Mites can live in bedding and cause problems for our small pets. Mites will look like tiny specks of pepper that move. Cedar or pine can cause skin irritation and itching also. Check her for injuries or lumps incase this is due to her having pain. As for the bulging eye, is there any discharge or sign of injury? The bulging eye may be due to an injury, such as a blow to the head.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't see any mites or bumps or anything. She does have a little bit of dander. There aren't even any sores or scabs. Just bald spots. And Winky's eye isn't weeping or anything. It looks perfectly normal, other that the fact it's bulging out of her head. It's been like that since she was a baby. Maybe her mom (Pookie) stepped on her when she was young.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:03 PM

I hope it's not a tumor growing underneath the eye.
I used to have a hamster that had bumps growing from his nose. I would swell so bad that he can't eat. Then the swelling goes away, and after a week or so, another appears. He died after that.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:18 PM

Some mites can be seen, others (mange mites) are microscopic. Just because you can't see these very tiny things does not mean they are not there. They MIGHT be.

Better call a good hamster vet for advice (ask at pet stores for recommendations). Goods ones WILL call you back and WILL give free advice on the phone
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I got the shampoo I used on my guinea pigs and mice when they had mites. I used it like I did on them for about a week and a half and it didn't do anything.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Who told you to shampoo dwarfs?? Nobody here.

You can try "8 in 1" Ultra Care spray available in pet stores. Follow directions closely, and work it into the skin without getting in the eyes and mouth (as it can be toxic). I would not use it more than a few times, and not without waiting a week or so between applications; as I said, it can be dangerously toxic when used a lot.

Have you changed to bedding to Carefresh, or corncob, after cleaning the tank?

As I said earlier, if all else fails find and call a good hamster vet. A good one WILL return your call and give you free advice without demanding an immediate office visit.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:34 PM

Oh, you will need light leather gloves to use that spray unless you have very tame dwarfs. Scruff gently, and work it in gently. There will be a spot you could not reach (where you scruffed) at first; work some spray in there too after the scruffing.
get it on all the skin, but not the mouth or eyes. Get wet but do not drench.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Would the spray hurt her if she grooms herself afterwards? My vet told me to shampoo my mice and guinea pigs when they had mites, so I did the same thing with her. I'm taking her to the vet on Thursday. I use Carefresh bedding.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM

I've actually heard of a lady who had delt with mites in her gerbils for a year or so, trying every kind of medication fron the vet and so have you. Her last resource.... was head and Sholders shampoo.... she actually shampooed her gerbils and never saw a mite again.
I definetly would be very cautious getting any small animals wet. To easily can they catch a chill and die.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:42 PM

Head & Shoulders shampoo as a mite remedy?!? Well, if you say it "mite" work!!

I have discussed mites numerous times and tried all sorts of remedies including Ivomectin. I finally killed them all off using "Hi Yield" garden and pet dust (an insecticide powder). I got it at a plant nursery. That was used on tiny but visible mites, not mange mites.

All this ASSUMES mites are the actual problem in this case.

"Head & Shoulders shampoo". If I ever see another mite (hopefuilly never) maybe I will try it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's worth a shot, but I really don't think it's mites.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
carefresh bedding, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, pet store, pet stores