Really Worried - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Really Worried

A little while back I was questioning the age of my hamster, Sammie. I figured she was about 12-14 months by estimation. Well, the last few days she hasn't moved around much at all. She seems fine when I get her out and hold her, just really tired. She used to pee in her potty, now she just goes in her nest where she sleeps-eww! I have to change it everyday now. She also has not gotten on her wheel at all in three days--I put a piece of toilet paper on top to see if it fell off, and it hasn't. She used to always get up around 7:30pm and was pretty active for a few hours then went back to bed for a while. Now she doesn't get up unless I get her up and hold her. As soon as I put her back she goes right back to her nest. She still seems happy and healthy while I hold her and she'll even walk around a bit on the floor, but never runs and doesn't seem nearly as hyper as she used to. Is she possibly older than I though or just being lazy? I don't want to face that she may be leaving me soon do to age...

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM
is a little "special"

Awww, Sammies not that old. She could just be getting out of her "teenager" stage and settling down a bit. They wont be bouncing-off-the-walls hyper forever!
She might just be a little bored too. Try getting her some fun new toys, re-arrange her cage, and things like that to make her more interested in her surroundings. She would probably love to run around and exlpore a room for for 15-20 minutes everyday, and you can make sure she is getting her exercise that way too!
I hope she acts more like her self soon! I wouldnt be worried about age... Ive had hams live 3+ years, and your girly isnt too old yet.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Jess-I knew I could count on you! Thanks, you made me feel better!! I'll try some new toys and arrangements and see if that helps!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

http://www.shmat.com/hamster-toys/
I found this for you, it has some homemade toys for them, they are better than store bought anyway. I sure hope she is alright. But she definitely isn't senior! And like Jess said, just rearranging the cage can help, whenever I do that my hammie loves to look everywhere...it is so much fun for her

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oooo-Cool site!! The creative juices are flowing!! Thanks! I put her out on the floor tonight and she explored and acted fine. As soon as I put her back-she went straight to her nest!! I rearranged her cage, but she could care less!! I even sprinkled her food around thinking she'd gather it up like always, but she didn't! She sniffed at it, then went to her nest. She also has had that stinky discharge they get when they're in heat ever since she started acting like this. Is it related? Also, how can you tell if her bottom teeth are overgrown? The top ones are very short, but the bottom ones seem longer than normal.

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

Last edited by LuvPets; 08-26-2009 at 09:41 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Hmm, I'm stumped! This probably sounds crazy, but is there any possibility that she could have gotten pregnant from Coco? Are they ever together? That might explain why she is lazier. I am sure about the smell...

For their teeth I would just make sure that she has chew toys, good ones are apple wood [They taste good too ] If you can't get to the store right away, a piece of bread left out over night can help to grind their teeth down

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

She has never been with Coco. He did escape for about a day while we were on vacation and my sis-in-law was taking care of them, but there is no way he got in Sammies cage!! I am doubtful that her teeth are overgrown, she has LOTS of chew toys and I give them dog bisquits too. I am just throwing out thoughts as they come to me!!! I tend to worry when they don't act "normal" and her teeth looked a little longer, but I may be imagining things!! Are there any signs that they could be too long, besides the obvious visual one?!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I didn't really think so, but you never know!

Sammies teeth are probably the right length as long as she is chewing on her toys. But it would explain some of the symtoms. If her teeth are overgrown, that would explain why she isn't searching for her food, like normal. It could be, but it also could be nothing. I think you will just have to keep checking on her, Here is a picture of overgrown teeth though, just to be on the safe side!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
is a little "special"

No problem! Glad your feeling better!
Haha, I use to have this adorable serian ham named Sailor, and he was a master escape artist! He acually got into our girl serian hamster, Petunias cage twice. Luckily she probably wasnt in heat when he got in there, because we never saw babies Theyre funny lil things.

If you are worried about Sammies teeth, you can post a pic and Ill probably be able to tell you if they are overgrown or not. It doesnt sound like they are though, if she is still eating fine.

Oh, and heres a fun toy idea that my pets love: take a toilet paper tube, but some of her favorite nommies in the middle (carrots, apple slices, and strawberries work well) and stuff either side with hay. That way she has to work a little to get to her treats, and she will probably chew on the hay too wich is good for her teeth.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

She is perking up a little. I fed her some baby oatmeal cereal mixed with water and she LOVED it!! She still isn't very active in her cage, but will scamper around on the floor. She won't go in her wheel-hasn't for days now. I put a different kind in to see if she is just not liking it anymore. She had a Wodent Wheel, I gave her a Comfort Wheel. I am still worrying, but she is acting a little better!! Thanks so much for all your advice-you guys made me feel better!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Glad she's getting better

My hammie [had for about a year] doesn't run on her wheel either, but she used to when she was a bit younger. It could be just that they are getting older

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Update On Sammie!!!!!

We've been out of town for a day or two and I worried the whole time about little Sammie!! I honestly expected to come home and find that she passed. To my joyful surprise, my angel is the picture of health!!!! She gathered up all her food, messed her nest like she likes it, and is even running like mad on her wheel!!! I am soooo relieved as is my daughter!! I can't thank you all enough for all your help, advice, support, and encouragment! You guys are awesome friends!! Thank you so much for being there for me!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yay! Go Sammie! I am glad she pulled through. She could have just had an 'off day' Lol Glad to hear that she is feeling like herself!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Actually, she had been acting like that for about a week! I was really preparing myself to lose her!! I was so happy I have been smothering her in kisses!! She's probably sorry I came home!! LOL

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM
is a little "special"

OMG thats great! Im so glad that she is back to her self!