Photos! red nosed gerbil - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

red nosed gerbil

my gerbil cornflake has had a red nose for a couple of days and is looks like dried up blood so i used a cotton bus to clean it but the reddness keeps coming back and not some of her fur has gone around the nose, i thinks she is rubbing it or something but i want to know if i can use anything to soothe it or make it go back to the pinky colour it was.

click on the pics. i had to use a blanket to stop her from biting me(shes been moody for a while???)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gebils new 004.jpg (55.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg gebils new 011.jpg (54.4 KB, 21 views)

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 PM
is a little "special"

You need to take her to the vet!
She might have an allergy to something. What kind of bedding do you use? Using something like aspen, Carefresh, Yesterdays News, ect could help.
Poor thing... She looks like Rudolph the red nosed gerbil. :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I am allergic to maths

That looks really bad! Vet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
the rodent lover<3

Beautiful gerbil..

Does he/she have a bar cage or a tank? If it's a bar cage it could be from chewing on the bars. My gerbils nose has red on theirs too but not that much red, because I have a bar cage

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i have used the same bedding since i have been keeping gerbils and i have bar cage and she dosent chew it i give carboard to chew but i think its from ramming the sawdust into corners, i dont know if i should swap cages with milkshake and snowflake because they have a tank.

what could i use she make it better, becuase my mum wont take her to the vets,she is tight and she had the money to take her but she just wont,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedding.jpg (55.8 KB, 12 views)

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM
is a little "special"

What kind of shavings are those? I cant read it on the bag.
Can you take her to the vet if you pay for it yourself? I can take my pets to the vet when ever I need to, but I have to pay for it.
You can try to find some odd jobs or baby sit to save up some money!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 PM

Judging from the pics, your gerbil is either having some pretty bad allergies or is rubbing their nose raw against something. Unless you're seeing it bump it's nose a lot against corners or bars, I'd be betting you're dealing with severe allergies.

That 'BestPets Compressed Shavings' bedding is hard to find any detailed info on! Seems like it's a UK-brand, so I'm only finding mentions of it on UK pet sites, which all just list a price and how many kilos it is.

The only mention I found was saying it's "good quality softwood". Going by the technical definition of softwood, it's probably cedar or pine, both which are bad. Other products from the same brand (BestPets) mention a 'pleasant pine scent', so I'm pretty sure that's going to be pine bedding too.

Aspen is classified as a hardwood, so I'm pretty sure it won't be that - and considering how many problems pine and cedar cause, the bedding is probably at least contributing to the problem, even if it's not the sole reason. I'd try getting aspen bedding, or even corncob bedding if they sell it around there. It might cost you a bit more than pine or cedar, but you won't be causing respiratory problems for your pets. It's shameful that stores are even allowed to sell aromatic wood bedding when it's known to cause problems.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 AM

How's her nose now?

I'm betting that she's rubbing it up against something. I had something simular before i swapped all of my gerbils over to tanks instead of cages.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yeah swapped the gerbils around so she is in the tank and i have seen her digging in corners and ramming stuff, but the bedding is the same in every pet shop i go to, and i hasnt caused any problems for any of my past gerbils or milkshake and snowflake, and she has been with the same bedding for a year or more so i dont think it is the bedding....

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well i cant really pay for the vet myself because i dont get pocket money there is no jobs i can do like car washing ect... and im not old enough to babysit, plus for a check up it is like £34 im not sure though

and i havnt seen her nose yet because my mum isin ireland and im in preston so im not at my house but last time i saw her, her nose was looking a bit better

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem

Last edited by AnimalMad; 08-26-2009 at 03:04 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
is a little "special"

Even if your gerbils have been on the same bedding for over a year, they can definatly still develope an allergy to it. Its happened with my hamsters. The shavings could also be giving them respitory problems, and can effect their liver/kidneys if you use it long term. I would REALLY suggest changing the litter! I have a hard time believing that there is absolutly no other kind of bedding in pet stores. You can also order online, or check farm supplies stores.

You still really need to take her to the vet.... I cant imagine that she is very comfortable with a nose like that....

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 AM
the rodent lover&lt;3

How often do ya change the litter? I change D&J's every monday

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

her nose is looking at lot better now i change cages her nose is pink but the fur around has gone because of her rubbing it but i could grow back?? but im happy with her nose so i wont change cages back and its not the bedding that was causing it, so thanks for helping me and i think shes going to be fine now

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Playful Pup

do you use pine or cedar wood chips?
sometimes that cause gerbils to get red noses, because it irritates them .
if not, take it to the vet

Pround owner of :

1 male guinea pig - Charlie

1 male black lab - Monty

Tags
bloodly nose, red nose