Refresh my memory; questions about getting hamsters after 10 years - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Refresh my memory; questions about getting hamsters after 10 years

I'm new to this forum =) found it on google, you guys were at the top and seem active and know your stuff, so I joined right away

Anyway, so I'm 17, but haven't had hamsters since I was 8, and I didn't really "take care" of them at that age... I remember some things, and I still have the cage and all the not-eaten accessories that went with it.

All I remember is they had some type of wood bedding (not cedar I know that much) lots of stuff to chew on, they made noise at night, and one lived to be 3 years old but was bitter from not being handled much.

I want 2 dwarf hamster females, probably from petco or petsmart, but do they have any young hamsters? If not; do you have any suggestions where to find a 2-month olds?

What's the best type of bedding I can buy at a pet store? can you tell me the exact brand and what store please

What store-bought food do you recommend? I do plan to feed fresh foods, for I do that anyway with my Box Turtles and Hermit crabs, but with that I also have some store-bought on the side and in between fresh-food feedings.

I heard Vaseline works to help quiet noisy excursive wheels while I did some research online, is this really ok to do and does it work? (I plan to keep the cage in my room. I don't mind some noise, but a lot of constant noise will keep me up)

One more question, The second level of the cage doesn't have a floor, what I mean is I remember the hamsters I had would have trouble walking on it; their feet would slip through the wire, causing them not to go up there often. Is there some type of SAFE pet-carpet or paper I can put up there to make a solid surface for them to walk on?

(I was ganna post a picture of my cage but I can't yet >.<)

Any other tips and suggestions for products would be GREAT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:22 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Not PetSmart or Petco, please! Do you know what Petsmart does if they wind up with a pregnant female?? They slaughter them. That is, if I'm remembering correctly. And Petco doesn't have very good ethics, either.

Many people rave about Harry Hamster. It's made by Supreme Pet Foods.

Aspen is a good bedding. Also carefresh. I use Equine Fresh, which is an all-natural pine wood pellet, but after I buy a bag I let it air out for like a week before putting it in my pet's cages, even though they're all very well ventilated.

..Vegetable Oil is a much safer bet than Vaseline... Vaseline is made of petrolatum, and petrolatum is related to gaseline and oil products.

You could probably buy a bit of coroplast to cover the wire flooring. Or, if worst came to worst, secure some fleece over the wires well enough that it couldn't be pulled away. Again, if worst came to worst, you could cut some cardboard to fit, and secure it in place with maybe some binder clips. It would require regular maintenance, but it is an option.

EDIT: Oh, oh, oh! Here's another bit... I know this probably only happened to me...but make sure your wheel is on the ground floor. I had a hamster of mine in a 10 gal tank with a tank-topper, and fastened the wheel to the wires of the tank-topper. Well.....my hamster got spinning in the wheel so fast, that, as near as we could figure, he flung himself out of it, hit the corner of the plastic sleep box that came with the set, and died of internal bleeding. When I found him he had dried blood in his nest, and as far as I could find, the blood had leaked out of his genitals. :/

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 11-09-2009 at 03:28 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Petco and Petsmart can be pretty bad, I try not to buy animals or live food from them. I thought hamsters would be one of the very very few pets they actually handle with care, guess I was wrong. It's always sad to see how they house their reptiles and birds, now I hear bad storys about the rodents x_x

Anyway, I figured vaseline was a little weird when I read it on -TWO- care sheets online, cause it seems like they could get into it and ingest it, I'll try the vegetable oil =)

Thank you for the tip about the wheel, I actually have it on the second story right now, I'll move it to the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah....I mean that the one hamster of mine that that ever happened to, but it was horrible to lift his sleep box and see it. :/

I was looking in on a turtle a while ago at PetSmart, and it looked so dull. I think it might have been dead...

I used Vegetable Oil any time my wheels got squeaky, and it worked like a charm. Oh, by the way, a "Silent Spinner" isn't totally silent. You won't hear squeaking, but you will hear something akin to "patter patter patter patter patter".
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Don't get me started on turtles, I own 13 of them and many-a-times I have gone to petco for more substrate and I see one for sale. One time a few years ago I saw 3 medium-sized turtles in a 10 gal, I asked what species they were because they were unmarked (I already had a guess though) They came back after 40 minutes of looking at the computer and told me they were 'Russian Tortoises' when I already knew they were Red Foots. I'm guessing the guy went and googled "tortoise" and went by pictures to make an amateur ID.

Let alone the not knowing what it WAS, they were serving Box Turtle Pellets, and had barely any water, horrible cramped conditions for those poor turtles. They were gone the next week, who knows what happened to them.

Anyway I was getting away form myself- "patter patter patter" won't bother me so I'll get that (the wheel I have now barely stays attached to the wall anyway)

I guess you could say "cute" noises don't bother me, I'm home schooled and I go to bed pretty late and sleep in, so I like to get nocturnal pets XD. My hermit crabs and turtles make loud noises at night, and it just makes me smile ^_^

Anyway, back on-topic question; Where can I find 2 young female dwarf hamsters?

I remember very faintly when I was 8 that we went into a family store and they had hamsters in this big open-top plastic aquarium and you just pointed out which you wanted. They were very tame and lasted 2~3 years, but they were males and they fought a little, maybe for dominants?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm not fond of dwarves... I had one, and she entirely ruined the experience for me. :/ She was either a Campbells or a Roborvski, and she was MEAN. I've heard people handling these exact breeds, but if we tried to handle her we needed to have heavy-duty gloves on, or else she bit.... HARD. But that might have been the product of bad breeding. :/ I got her from my best friend's neighbor, who's hamster was pregnant. Before I got her I was familliar with Syrians, and she threw me through a total loop. I was completely shocked at her behavior.

I know of a pet store in Ohio that sells hamsters like that; but I'm not sure what type of stores Nevada has to offer. Well, you could look under "Farm Stores". Sometimes along with pet supplies they'll carry animals. Other than that, you might need to find a breeder somewhere, :/

So what's your driving force behind getting dwarves, if I may ask? I mean, with what I said earlier, I didn't want to make you think they were evil or anything like that..as I've said, I've heard many people having very good experiences with theirs, but for some reason, the one I had was just possessed. x_x

Males will generally duke it out for dominance, yeah.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I had dwarfs before, and I defiantly want a fairly small breed (it's hard getting my dad to agree about getting "big" pets)

I know I had dwarfs before because they had a stripe down their backs, Chomper (the bitter one) was brown with a gray-ish stripe, and I can't remember what Sudsy looked like, it was technically my brothers, and died young from being dropped by a friend.

Do you know any other small breeds I could get that have about the same care? o.0

Last edited by SnowCone; 11-09-2009 at 06:16 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Chinese hamster, Winter White... Those are the only other two dwarf hamster breeds that I can remember...

http://www.hamsterific.com/WinterWhiteHamster.cfm

http://dwarf-hamster.com/chinese-dwarf-hamsters/
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
is a little "special"

Robos and Campells arent really hammies for handeling. If your REALLY want a dwarf, definatly go with Russian Winter Whites/Siberian dwarves. They are my favorite!
The only pets I EVER buy from pet stores are hermit crabs and fish... If you can adopt a pair of hamsters through the humane society or a rescue organization, thats the way to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jess - I've heard the exact opposite in regards to Robos and Campbells. Hrm. Well, maybe it's a good thing to know the one dwarf I did have(I think she was a Robo...not sure), was supposed to act like that, :/
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I've been doing some research and I would get a Campbell's Russian Dwarf Hamster, although I keep hearing they don't like to be handled and nip a lot. I do plan to handle them at least a few times a week, and I have two cousins (age 4) that would want to pet them (not hold) so I don't want one that will nip and bite or be hard to handle. >.<
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That might be pushing it. Those hamsters are so small I'm not sure four year olds have the proper motor skills to touch lightly without pushing done too hard. I could be wrong, though. I don't remember my motor skills when I was 4 years old. Earliest time I remember is when I was 6 years old and demanding my dad to pick me up, lol.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh no need to worry about that, even the 2 year old can gently pet my turtles and can hold my hermit crabs with care (in a hamster ball, don't want them pinched XD)

You'd be surprised how light these kids are around animals

Edit: I breed pill bugs as food for pets, and one time I set up tiny habitats inside clear cups for my cousins to watch and take care of. Joey (2 years old) would pet it with one finger while it crawled around on his arm

Last edited by SnowCone; 11-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Jess - I've heard the exact opposite in regards to Robos and Campbells. Hrm. Well, maybe it's a good thing to know the one dwarf I did have(I think she was a Robo...not sure), was supposed to act like that, :/

Nope, not from my experience anyway. My tiny robo was one of the jumpiest little hams Ive ever had, although he didnt bite as much as some of my others. If Campells are the breed Im thinking of (and Im pretty sure they are), those were some of the "meanest" hamsters Ive even had, although they did live really long.

SnowCone~ If you are planning on having little kids around your hamsters, I would NOT get a dwarf. Even if the kids are gentle, dwarfs are still generally VERY bitey, and very fragile.
You should really try to go with a male long haired syrian. They are the calmest, sweetest little guys ever!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My dwarf.... killed herself.... as near as I can figure. She kept thrusting herself against the side of her cage, and one day went to sleep and never woke up...my dad thinks she died from a brain hemorrhage.

Yeah...I dunno... I'd tend to agree with Jess. But I only had a dwarf hamster once, and I thought she was just...well.. a b*tch. Lol.

Tags
accessories, bedding, cage, hamster