removing mom hamster? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

removing mom hamster?

I have a mom dwarf hamster and 4 pups that are 18 days old I left dad in the cage as I was told he would help with the babies, and now I think mom is going to have a another batch of pup soooooon.... can I take her out and put her on her own as she is getting aggessive with dad and pups...will the pups and dad be ok together till the pups are 4 weeks and then I can sex them and seperate, and at 5-6 weeks a new home...... and will mom be able to take care of the new batch of babies on her own....
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

the current litter will still need their mum tho? I think you should take out the dad and leave her with them...
?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

what happens when the new babies come wont the old babies try to get them... and stress out mom... maybe mom or old babies will eat the new babies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

if they are old enough to be separated from their mother than do separate them and keep the dad in, but if they are not old enough keep the mother with her babies as long as you can and you will just have to take her out when the babies are due and get the equiptment needed to hand feed the others and keep them healthy too.

good luck *hugs*

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 04-06-2008 at 10:57 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Will It Ever Change?

hmmm, well 18 days is just over two weeks so they still need their mom right? so take out dad. when those pups are weaned, put males in with dad and leave females with mom. when she has the second litter, just wait and see how the females handle it

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
dwarf hamster