Rubber maid box - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Rubber maid box

I just bought i rubber made box. The lid is kinda flexible so im concerned if its strong enough to hold my gerbils.

Also, how do i cut the holes for a water bottle? and how to i cut open the top and push the mesh on?

The tools i have are files, hammer and nail, and exacto knift. Plan to hamer in a few holes on the top and cut and maybe some on the side for air holes and water bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 08:46 PM

You mean a bin?

How big is it? 15 gallons seems a minimum for two gerbils.

I would really need a photo.

I cut the top off a Sterilite bin (leaving several inches around the edges of the lid). I used a strong pocket knife that had a saw edge, and I sawed the rest off.

I made no holes in the sides; the waterbottles hang over the edge. If that does not work a tiny hole for the wire of a Quick Quench bottle can easily be poked through with the sharp end of a knife - just twist and turn.

The tricky part is securing screen mesh to the remainder (those edges) of the top (the lid). The gerbils must get plenty of air, and most of what was the top has to be now screen for air.

I think the BEST way to secure the mesh screen is to poke a bunch of tiny holes in the lid edge, and then use those wire bag ties to secure it tight, lest the gerbs escape.

It works for me.

If the plastic is too thick for you, heat a small nail (holding it with pliers) over a stove and melt the holes.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:12 PM

I do the same as Zouave... drilling airholes would give the gerbils place to chew open a space large enough to get out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:09 PM

I used a dremmel tool to cut a hole in the lid of the bin, which I don't know if you own one of those? The dremmel is easy to use and cuts through plastic like butter. I then affixed the hardwire cloth mesh to the underside using a hot glue gun (you have to use lots of glue). Cable ties would work too.

Then for the waterbottle, I drilled a hole the same size as the spount so it could slide in and leave no gaps between the plastic and spout for them to get their teeth on. I hang the waterbottle on the outside of the bin.

If it would help you, I can get pics of my set-up.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:26 PM

Oh! I have pics of my bin cage here: http://www.geocities.com/padfoot_82/bincage.htm in case you want to see.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 AM

Hi Padfoot. I checked out your site. That pic of the toilet paper nest is so funny! Smeagol displays no interest in toilet paper. I think she's a bit of a snob about it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Hehehe... I'm glad you liked it... gerbils are so silly! I think my hamsters are the ones that care less about the TP... but the gerbils and mice love doing their nests with it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 09:59 PM

I have posted this before, and do so again. Look, and you will find many gerbil and hamster habitats.

RIGHT HERE
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

I cant get any holes in the box. I dont have any drills or anything Btw how do i install a water bottle
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:16 PM

I didnt know you can keep gerbils in tubs... Ill keep that in mind.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 PM

why not get a cage?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 AM

Cage with bars you mean? Or the aquarium type cages they sometimes sell? Bars are bad for the nose and the aquarium cages are expensive. I use a sterilite bin myself. We didn't cut any holes in the lid, we don't use it at all. We bought a sheet of wire mesh and made a lid out of that.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:54 PM

ohhhh How can that be bad for the nose?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 PM

Cause they chew on the bars and the one above/beside the one they're chewing on rubs the top of their nose. I was "lucky" with my first gerbil, he was more interested in chewing on the supports than the bars, though you could still see that there was fur getting rubbed away. That's why my dad built the aquarium type one my boys are in now.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:37 AM

ohh cause my hammie is in a bar cage now.

Tags
wire mesh