runny eyes/nose, wet tail???? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

runny eyes/nose, wet tail????

Hello!!

I was just given a couple of hamsters a few days ago. Both seemed older. One was quite energetic, but the other seemed lethargic. When I checked on them this evening the lethargic one had gotten very sick.

Her symptoms:
runny, stopped up nose
watery, matted eyes
wet tail
difficulty breathing (because of the stopped up nose, I think)

They both have had a stressful two weeks, their original owner (who had rescued them from a trash can some time ago) had to give them away, but the kids he gave them to couldn't keep them (their parents said no after the first couple days). I took them after that, but they have moved twice in the last two weeks. Could the stress have brought this on?

It's killing me to sit here and listen to her wheeze for air--is there ANYTHING I can do for her? Even if it's just to make her a bit more comfortable... I wish I knew more about hamsters, but I haven't had one since I was a little girl. :-(

As for the other hamster, I've put her in a fresh cage with clean bedding. Just in case this is catching. I'll watch her closely over the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:24 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

Hey there, do u think they are Syrian hamsters or dwarf hamsters? Syrians are much more prone to wet tail.

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wet Tail, the disease, is different from having a wet tail. The disease Wet Tail comes with diarrhea staining underneath the tail; but any hamster I've had which had Wet Tail never had issues with breathing. Lethargic, yes. Diarrhea, yes. But never issues with breathing, never wheezing. Is the tail wet with diarrhea, or just wet? Wet Tail is definitely stress-induced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

tinypixi, I didn't actually know there were two different kinds of hamsters. But if Syrians are bigger than dwarf I definitely think these are syrian. They seem unusually big (not /fat/ just large overall) for hamsters).

FlickeringHope, yes, there are diarrhea stains under the tail. I don't know if it's actual "wet tail" but she does have diarrhea.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's a website that lists the symptoms of Wet Tail : http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/D...on_of_Wet_Tail
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Playful Pup

Only the Syrian Species can be affected by Wet Tail until 12-14 weeks of age. After that it is more then unlikely to get it. Do you have a photo of the Hamsters and their environment? If they are 4-6 inches they are Syrians and need to be in separate cages.

If they are 2-3 inches then they are a Dwarf Species, which means they cannot get wet tail and this must be a symptom of a cold or virus. Colds and other viruses can be given to small mammals.

Runny nose by the way is not a symptom of Wet Tail in general anyway so they must have an allergy to the bedding or something being used on your skin, the air or as a cleanser in the environment.

The eyes are also affected which can be from again, a cold or virus or part of an allergic reaction to something. However - the diarrhea can be linked to anything from too much greens, stress, sickness or lack of nutrients or fiber in their diet.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

i know they have had a bad couple off weeks so put them in a warm draft free place, lots off bedding and water. But ias they are that bad, i would take them to the vets, being ill, that would make them worse. Good luck!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

White, the sick hamster, passed away before I could take her to a vet--the morning after I posted. But Kitten (the other one) seems to be doing very well. I have her in a new cage with fresh bedding, and everything has been washed. I'm glad she didn't catch it.

Thank you for your help. :-)

Tags
breathing, hamster, matted eyes, runny nose, wet tail