sad discovery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

sad discovery

My dwarf hamster Pebbles appears to hate people. she will even run to you and try to bite you when you refill her food and water bowl! So I do not get her out and give her much attention at all. I just give her food, water, toys, treats, and clean her cage.
I got her out to clean her cage and noticed that she rapidly lost weight. however her eating has not slowed down... if anything it has increased! and she isnt hiding her food either.
and she has a big nasty tumor on her breast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh no! I am so sorry Keep us updated and keep her compfortable. Best wishes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

do you take hamsters to the vet? is there anything they can do for something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Is she an older hamster? If so then she might not make it through surgery, but only your vet can determine if it is a smart decision to put her through surgery. Find an exotic vet in your area and ask them if they see dwarf hamsters.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM

yes hamsters can go to vets but like was already said they have such a short life span if she is old it might not be a smart decision secondly vets willing to see hamsters are hard as **** to find i had to drive about 40 mins one way to take shelby (she had numona i know spelled wrong) i was always told it is a waste of money but your hamters is part of your family just like a dog
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 PM
is a little "special"

How old is Pebbles? The tumor is most likely causing some of the weight loss, but hamsters also lose most of their chub as they get older.
You can definatly take Pebbles to the vet. If you do, they will most likely sedate her for a minute, take a biopsy of the lump (with a syringe... no surgery needed), and look at it under a microscope. Then you will at lease know exactly what it is: a cancerous tumor, non-cancerous tumor, or just an abscess/cist. I observe at the vets, so Ive seen this all before LOL It not very traumatic for them at all.
Once you acually know what it is, you can make the best decision for her.
The most important thing though is finding a good vet! A good thing to do is go to the House Rabbit Societys website and look at their reccomended rabbit vets, since most of those vets specialize in exotics/pocket pets. That how I found my vet, and theyre awesome!
Good luck with her!!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips everyone!
Pebbles is under 1 yr old
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Playful Pup

How is Pebbles doing? I hope she's alright!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

she is doing lots better. that huge lump went away on its own, but I have seen abscesses loads of times with the rats, and this seriously didnt look like an abcess.

She is still skinny, but putting on weight. i dont know what was going on with her. and now she is having seizures. I talked to the vet about it, and they dont think they can do anything for a hamster with seizures. I have been debating about having her PTS. if she gets any worse....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Playful Pup

How old is she? Dwarfs don't have a very long life span. Campbells & Winter Whites only live about 1 1/2 to 2 years, & Roborovskiis live about 2-3 years. Seizures are common with old age. Just keep an eye on her; sometimes seizures cause partial parilyzation. If this happens, she'll need help drinking & eating & stuff.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

oh!? I really dont know what kind of hammie she is. she is white and dark gray.
She is not even a year old yet.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Playful Pup

If she's white & dark gray, she is most likely a winter white, although she could be a campbell, but chances lean toward the other. How long have you had her? Has she grown a lot since you've taken her home? Sometimes the hamsters in pet stores are already fully grown adults.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

she was adopted from the animal shelter. she was a baby when i got her, just old enough to go to a new home.
she has more than doubled, maybe ever tripled her size since i have gotten her.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Playful Pup

Awww, she sounds adorable! Well, it's definitely not due to age then. I would just keep an eye on her & try & see that her cage doesn't face any flashing lights (like video games or fluorescent lighting), as they can induce seizures.

Tags
hamster tumor