Sand baths? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

Sand baths?

I tried giving Josh a bath today, it didn't turn out too good since he squirmed. I managed to get the little bit of soap
that I put on him off, and dried him. I decided I won't wash Drake, since he's a big ball of hyper. Well, I told my mom
about sand baths. I was wondering will their instinct kick in and
they just roll around in it or will they have to learn? Thanks

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm, why were you bathing your gerbils with water and soap? They really don't need to be bathed like that and it's not going to be good for their coats. Do they smell or something?

Anyways, yup, their instincts should kick in. Not all gerbils will use a sand bath but most will. Sometimes you have to try a couple different kinds of sand/dust bath, though. If they don't seem to understand, you can try rubbing a little bit of the sand into their fur. I've heard of people doing this to get them to start bathing. I don't know if it works since I've never tried it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Hmm, why were you bathing your gerbils with water and soap? They really don't need to be bathed like that and it's not going to be good for their coats. Do they smell or something?

Anyways, yup, their instincts should kick in. Not all gerbils will use a sand bath but most will. Sometimes you have to try a couple different kinds of sand/dust bath, though. If they don't seem to understand, you can try rubbing a little bit of the sand into their fur. I've heard of people doing this to get them to start bathing. I don't know if it works since I've never tried it.
Well, Josh somehow started smelling like urine, turned out his belly was covered in his urine, i'm not sure how, and don't know if it was by accident or not, but he's very hyper, so who knows

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~

Tags
sand bath gerbil