Senstive Subject | Hamster in PAIN - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Senstive Subject | Hamster in PAIN

Hey guys...today someone dropped off a very sick roboski.

Hes very ill, his entire neck and chest are engulfed with a huge cyst or tumor. It's enormous. I mean, HUGE.
He doesn't move. Hes almost catatonic I want to say. His entire body heaves quickly to breathe. Its so horrible.

Im not sure if roboskis can even get wet tails but it looks like his entire underbelly has been dragged through wet feces as well.

Even if we made it to the vets, im a 100% certain of what they would do. Now I know this is a sensitive subject and some of you are going to say TAKE HIM TO A VET! but it be TOO late for that.
He might just die in the car. Is there...any painless way? Is there? Hes already dieing but its...slow. And hes suffering.
I can say "ill make you as comfortable as I can" but lets face it! No one can be comfortable with a cyst this size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
the rodent lover<3

Aw . This is making me so sad inside. I'm not sure which way is humane to do it, but is there an animal center or vet near you? It probably is too late for the little guy, but the vet will probably humanely euthanize him. Unless you can think of some way.
Aw poor guy.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I am allergic to maths

Wow! It is probably chocking the poor lil fella, I doubt there is anything the vet can do exept have him pts, there is one 'home remedy' someone posted on here somewhere but im not sure
how painless and humane it is (it was a bicarbonate of soda and water mix). I would take him to the vet and end his misery, if he dies in the car there isnt anything you can do about that. There is an extremely slim chance the vet can do something but dont get your hopes up. Just put him in a small box and rest his head on a cotton bud or two and take him to the vet and have him pts...
Im so so SO sorry this is happening, best of luck! Your in my thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Well, i'm researching ways to put him out of his misery, but these are cruel ways, things from shooting it in the head to smacking it with a book.

I think you should call your vet for advice .

The most humane way I think (from what I have researched) is freezing him.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your support. Ive been syringe feeding him water and about 0.02ml of children Tylenol to try to help. His is his own cage and hes kind of just staring off into space like the cadet that cyst made him. Ive heard that pot actually would help him. I love my vet. Haha.
I dont think I could sleep if I did anything to end his life early.
Ive done so many bad things in my life already i dont think i can add this to it too.

Ive heard of making a carbon dioxide tank. Vinegar and baking soda...and a tub to an empty container where the animal would go.

Freezing is painful ive heard. The feeling of having skin so cold it burns happens before the coldness hits the brain.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:05 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
Thank you all for your support. Ive been syringe feeding him water and about 0.02ml of children Tylenol to try to help. His is his own cage and hes kind of just staring off into space like the cadet that cyst made him. Ive heard that pot actually would help him. I love my vet. Haha.
I dont think I could sleep if I did anything to end his life early.
Ive done so many bad things in my life already i dont think i can add this to it too.

Ive heard of making a carbon dioxide tank. Vinegar and baking soda...and a tub to an empty container where the animal would go.

Freezing is painful ive heard. The feeling of having skin so cold it burns happens before the coldness hits the brain.
It's good to know he's in your care, you seem determined to let him live until it's his time to pass on. Can you take pictures of him?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, I dont want to mess with him right now.
Im afraid if anything more stressful happens that cyst will explode.
I know thats not going to happen but he is so freaked out.
His eyes are like black cups of coffee overflowing.

He looks completely normal when rolled up. But when you flip him over...AHHHH.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Honestly, I dont want to mess with him right now.
Im afraid if anything more stressful happens that cyst will explode.
I know thats not going to happen but he is so freaked out.
His eyes are like black cups of coffee overflowing.

He looks completely normal when rolled up. But when you flip him over...AHHHH.
Ahh okay. Lets just hope he improves.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Hope is good. Yes it is.
Im soaking the cage that he came in. ITS DISGUSTING. Its never been cleaned his whole life I bet. Apparently he also had a friend that suddenly died../I wonder what happened to him.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 04:44 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Hope is good. Yes it is.
Im soaking the cage that he came in. ITS DISGUSTING. Its never been cleaned his whole life I bet. Apparently he also had a friend that suddenly died../I wonder what happened to him.
Did someone just drop him off to you?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Yes. At about 11:43 am. I guess it hit the crape vine that I rescue a lot. >_>
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM
is a little "special"

Awww, poor guy!
Are you sure you dont want to take him to the vet to have it biopsied (sp?)? If it is really just a cyst, those can be drained. But if its a tumor he could have cancer, and it really would be kindest to put him to sleep.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I think its a matter of size and age here. Hes probably almost 2 years if not more , its monstrous and I have the feeling its leaking inside of him too.
Its taken up so much space on his little body I really think that he might die on the way there let alone during surgery. Id rather he pass away in a cuddle cup!
There are parts of it that are harder than others...it makes me worry.
Also, his fur is very thing, i can see his skin sometimes, i suspect a second cysts/tumor on his side as well.

How exactly do they drain cysts at vets? with a needle?

Last edited by bokuza; 06-24-2009 at 06:29 PM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Part of the Pack

This is so sad could a vet drop by your house? He is lucky that he has you to take such good care of him. I hope everything works out okay..

give your love no matter what.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Right now hes in a very deep sleep. I know he lives, but hes...sleeping. I believe **** pass tonight while sleeping. Ive put a tiny fleece blanket on him so he isn't cold. He doesn't seem to be in pain. It's really weird...but its peaceful this way?