Shop Vacs and Cage Cleaning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Shop Vacs and Cage Cleaning

What kind of Shop Vac do you use to clean out your gerbils tanks with and how old are the shop vacs??

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:24 PM

I don't use a shop Vac, as i have used a regular (but high quality) vaccum before, and well pluged it real good LOL (Sorry Mom).
I use a dust pan and brush for my larger tanks I cannot dump, then for the little bits i just use my hand held 'dust buster' type vaccum it works well.
I keep the hand held in the rodent room as it comes in handy for everything, spilled feed or dust etc.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:44 PM

My vaccuum is really old, but we are thinking of getting one of those Eureka bagless vacuums. I put the garbage bag inside the tank and put the litter in the bag, so I don't have any litter to really vaccuum up. But I do vaccuum under the tank and spray in that area to prevent mites.

I have a 30 gallon tank. I put the tank in scalding hot water, and I use about a cup of bleach, if the tank was smaller I would probably use less, and that cleans my tanks really good. I also spray the tank down with mite spray, because my gerbil had mites last year, they haven't come back since (knock on wood) but I am still cautious and always try to prevent them.

Last edited by LittlePaws; 04-07-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:48 PM

I don't have gerbils, I have guinea pigs though. I use the small 2.5 gallon shop vac and it works very well. Its small and easy to carry. Sucks up anything and everything. Hope that helps.

Tags
guinea pig