Sick/dying Hamster, PLEASE help!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Sick/dying Hamster, PLEASE help!!

Hello,
I am worried about my Hamster, Binky. He is very sick, he has always been very active, noctunally, and also responsive to me during the day when he has been up and about. Now, I think he is dying. His health seems to have decreased rapidly, even though his appearance has changed over the years as he has grown older, he now seems to be shaking constantly, he can not stand or walk without falling over and he is shaking and curling up very tightly as though in pain. He seems almost to be spasming.
Also his eyes appear glazed over or swollen and he does not drink unless I bring the bottle to him or seem to eat any food I put down. This has been for the last 48 hrs now and has come on very rapidly.

Basically! I have resigned myself to the fact he is probably on his 'way out', I should stress he is nearly 3 years old, However, I am torn with what to do. Even taking him to the vets I'm sure will cause him distress and he is not responsive to anything and I'm sure he's in pain alot. Plus and I'm sure they'd only put him down. WHat can I do at home to ensure he is as comfortable as possible and without sounding morbid would it be better if I did something to put him out of his misery? I don't want him to suffer anymore! It's so horrible to watch. Please help, any advice would be appreciated x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Betta Bomb

I had a hammie who passed at home but mind you he wasnt so bad, he just kinda got bad over a few days and went in his sleep looking peaceful. I would suggest if he looks so pained take him in and have him humanly euthanized but I'm also torn over the whole natural death thing in to let it come naturally? I hope all is ok, peace be with you, dear
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am so so sorry to hear of you and Binky going through this. It made me cry. I had a hammie, Carly, who got bad fast. We only had her about a month and she stopped eating, drinking, or using the bathroom. She started shaking like Binky and couldn't walk. I stayed up with her all night crying. I called a vet in the morning and they said it sounded like a tumor in her intestines or bowels but to bring her in so they could check her. When I went to check on her, she had curled up and went to sleep and passed in her sleep. She looked so peaceful.

I wish I could comfort you, these times are soooo hard to go through. I'd contact the vet and see if there is anything you can do to help him be comfortable. Gosh, I am so sorry. *hugs*

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Hello. Binky passed away this evening. I didn't think I would be quite as upset as I am but I am very glad he is not in pain. I was at work when he died so I am feeling sad I was not with him but I am going to give him a proper send off. Thankyou so much to Purple-hops and Luvpets for your advice and kind words. He was a lovely little thing and I will miss him a lot.

x x x
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww. I'm so sorry. They have a way of wiggling deep into our hearts, don't they? Find comfort in the fact that he's not suffering. I'm sure he loved you a lot too, for giving him a great loving home. He's at the Rainbow Bridge with all our lost beloved pets waiting on you. RIP Binky...
*big hugs*

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

Tags
dying, hamster, sick