Sick little girl.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Sick little girl..

I brought home a little girl Gerbil from the pet store I work at. The poor little thing has had allergy problems since she was born, and thats why we couldn't sell her. About a week after she was born she started rubbing her nose, at that time her mum, dad, her and her brothers and sisters were in the small aspen chips. After she got older her nose was rubbed raw, and she had the red bleeding (or muscus as I've read) and so we went through every bedding we sell. Fornately I work at the pet store so I had a chance to try out a little bit of everything. We trid Fresh n Comfy which made her much worse, so then we tried Bosox and Carefresh, which the dust seemed to bother her and make it worse again, we tried pine which made it way worse, we tried the corn cob litter which she seemed very legthreic and she was still rubbing, we tried Yesterdays News which seemed to help a little bit, and now shes in the big chip aspen which seems to help the most, but her nose is still red, and last night when I took her home she had a little bit of red around her eyes as well. We've tried antibotics... both liquid antibotics in her water bottle, and neosporin on her nose and around her eyes, and antibotics from the vet but nothing can ever completely clear it up. She does do better in the big chip aspen then anything else we've tried, but it does seem to help.
I just feel so bad for her, shes a cutie and a half, which is why I took her home, I wanted her to have a home, and try to do what I can to make her better because with all the other animals we just didn't have time to give her speical attention at the store, and I thought my home with less critters around might be less stressful. But I just don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to help this little girl?

Last edited by ellymay; 08-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM
is a little "special"

Have you tried using some plain shredded paper? It isnt dusty like Carefresh, and my hamster that had allergies wasnt allergic to that. You might have ot clean it more often though. Good luck with her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I thought about that, I was thinking of just shredding some plain paper, or even some flyers, but I was just scared it would hurt her if she ate it. I do give her paper towel and toliet paper rolls for toys though and that doesn't seem too. I was just worried it wouldn't be safe to put just plain paper or flyers in the bottom of her cage. So you think it would be ok for a Gerbil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
is a little "special"

Plain paper should be just fine. Shredded paper has never hurt any of my animals, and Ive used it for everyones bedding at one point or another (bunnies, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters...). My rabbit is the only one that has acually ate a little bit (most of them just chew on it) and hes never had an issue. Yould be suprised at the weird things pets can eat, and still be fine. If you are worried about ink, you can use plain white paper.
I think its definatly worth a try, and it shouldnt hurt her if she eats a tiny bit, as long as she isnt completely chowing down on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hey,
I've tried it, I took some plain white computer paper and tore it up into long skinney strips and put it all around the bottom.. she seems to like it more then the aspen shavings anyway. For a while she was having fun jumping in it, then she ran into her paper towel tube and has been hiding out there. Its def worth a shot though at least its not going to be dusty on her. Thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
is a little "special"

No problem. I hope she gets better!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I put her in paper and she seems worse today, her eyes are sealed shut now too I read somewhere that manuka honey can help, so I'm going to pick some up and see if that will get rid of the infection for her. I hope so!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

yeah try the honey, honey is a natural aniseptic and antibiotic, i used it on a cats wound in the vets i worked in, shouod work but she will be a little stickey for a while...goodluck
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

how about tearing up toilet paper? she would like to tear it up more and make a nests out of it

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I've been tearing up a litlte bit of toliet paper too for her to make a nest out of, and I brought home her sister as well so she wouldn't feel lonely. Although she looked a little better yesterday but worse today Its spread to both her eyes and her nose is really bad esepcailly on her right side. I just don't know what else to try, I just can't figure out how to cure her. I think tomorrow I'm going to take her over to the vet again, hes put her on antibotics before but I just don't know what else to do, does anyone else?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 PM

Would allergy meds work? I don't know what kind of dosage you'd give to a gerbil since they're so small. I've heard of plenty of bunnies being given benadryl, so it might be worth a shot asking the vet if there's some allergy meds you could give her.

As far as bedding goes, I didn't like Carefresh, and neither did my gerbils. Plus I thought it was awfully dusty although I'd heard claims of it being 'dust-free'. There's a recycled paper strip bedding called 'Eco Bedding' that I've tried for rabbits and our friend uses it for his guinea pigs. You have to change it relatively often since it doesn't absorb urine that well, but gerbils really don't pee much anyway. It's supposed to be hypo-allergenic so it might be worth trying. There's blue bags that are supposed to be odor-blocking, green bags that are just regular paper.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Just to update everyone I got an anitbotic from the vet here, which seemed to clear up the infection, and then once I got her out of all beddings but the paper and kept the manuka honey to her until it healed she seems to be fine. *knock on wood* she completely cleared up, and hasn't had a single out break since then!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:47 AM

That's good news

It doesn't sound like allergies, more like conjuctivitus
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Playful Pup

If there's bleeding in a hamster/gerbil/guinea pig for any reason, they should go to the vet, if anything just to prevent infection to the open wound. It'll save the little hamster further suffering & it'll save you all the days spend worrying about your little one. A vet will have the answers & the medications to at least set your mind at ease that you've done everything you can as quickly as possible. Hope your little one is still doing great!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Playful Pup

i'm not sure if it would work but i sometimes keep my gerbils on sand, they enjoy it a lot and i doubt there would be anything in sand that can cause aggro, though it doesn't hold heat at all well. either that or try cat litter? you can get fine stuff that is rather soft and made from dust excracted recycled paper.

Tags
allergy, bedding, gerbil, red nose, shavings