Sigh - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

Sigh

Drake and Josh are... being a bit destructive. They're chewing on the plastic upper part of their tank and the top is eventually going to cave in on them They have chew toys, cardboard, and all that good stuff. They even have a wood block that I got from the store. But they insist on plastic. What should I do? ._.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Betta Bomb

Take the plastic from them! I never had a gerbil before but Im pretty sure anything that ingests plastic could get a blockage from it! As rodents, they need something hard to chew and they seem to prefer the plastic to everything else, but as a human and knowing their best interests- take away the plastic and they'll have no choice but to chew the safe toys!
Maybe stuff a small box with hay and little wood bits and let them destroy that as a way of eliminating boredom? Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 AM
RAT ADDICT

Gerbils are the most destructive rodent I have ever had.

Mine chewed and destroyed several plastic wheels and water bottles,till I upgraded to glass and metal.She also chewed the plastic tray of a cage,plastic levels in a cage....everything she could.Put ALL of my rats,mice and hamsters together and they still were ALL not as destructive as my ONE gerbil.

I would put them in a tank,with metal,ceramic and glass bottles/dishes/wheel.Also make sure they have a lot of chew things...harder plastic,wood...etc,etc,etc.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Well the top of the tank is made of plastic and they can jump...high.
What I was thinking is switching cages with the mouse. Eddie can't jump high enough and he doesn't chew on plastic. But the gerbils would be in a bar cage and they'd fling litter all over.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If you put them in the wire cage I'm sure you could go to home depot or Lowes and find some kind of metal shingle/strip/whatever and attach to the outside of the cage so they can't fling litter out. I just means like a 2-3 inch strip.

Do they have a wheel?

You could also try to find a way to rearrange your cage so they can't reach the top to chew.

*Missy*
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
If you put them in the wire cage I'm sure you could go to home depot or Lowes and find some kind of metal shingle/strip/whatever and attach to the outside of the cage so they can't fling litter out. I just means like a 2-3 inch strip.

Do they have a wheel?

You could also try to find a way to rearrange your cage so they can't reach the top to chew.
They don't have a wheel, they don't use it. They HAD one but all they do is ignore it, so I gave it to my mouse - he uses it daily. I made the switch and...it's okay, but they made a MESS. I figure that since they have it all situated it won't get any worse then this.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica