Sofi is sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Sofi is sick

I noticed last night how rough sofi was looking and acting. I am contacting local vets about payment plans and rodent experience. I originally thought it was simply constipation but i think it is much worse than that.

This is how my baby girl looks right now I hope its simply treated

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 AM
It's all for them

I hope you can get Sofi the medical treatment she needs, poor little girl. Keep us posted.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM
she-mayor of Whoville

Poor girl, get well soon Sofi!!! <3<3

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Betta Bomb

Is she all wet bc you bathed her?? I would give her a bowl of chinchilla dust to dry up in!!! A wet hamster is a cold hamster and a cold hamster = weak immune system. Hamsters should not be bathed :/ Or at least they should remain in a warm fuzzy blanket or a warm room until totally dry.

How long was she like this? Was there any changes in her diet? how old is she? Is there any drafts around her cage?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I would never bath her and I know how to care for my hamster. I fed her olive oil as advised since we thought she was constipated. It got in her she is totally dry now. Chinchilla dust is HORRIBLE for hamsters the dust gets in their lungs. She wasnt wet just greasy and she has a nice warm nest

Its happened over the past three weeks behavior change the last few days. She has a consistent diet and no drafts.

I'm thinking judging by the hard lump near her ribs it may be a tumor. I found a vet I will make an appointment ASAP

Proud Mommy to-

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
I would never bath her and I know how to care for my hamster. I fed her olive oil as advised since we thought she was constipated. It got in her she is totally dry now. Chinchilla dust is HORRIBLE for hamsters the dust gets in their lungs. She wasnt wet just greasy and she has a nice warm nest

Its happened over the past three weeks behavior change the last few days. She has a consistent diet and no drafts.

I'm thinking judging by the hard lump near her ribs it may be a tumor. I found a vet I will make an appointment ASAP
Aw, no I am sorry to see this. Are hamsters prone to tumors? Please keep us posted, I've said a prayer for your dear little Sofi, and all paws crossed.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Tumors are a very common cause of death in hamsters and they only have about a 50% chance of pulling through surgery ... So I'm hoping its minor. I've been the best hamster mommy I can ... Now I just have to wait and see what the vet says.

Everyones support is really appreciated I'll keep everyone updated.

Proud Mommy to-

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
is a little "special"

Poor thing, I hope she makes it. I've had hamsters die from tumors too.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Betta Bomb

wow, totally didn't know that about chin dust!! I had some safe hamster litter for Button years ago.. It wasn't dusty I don't know what it was,,,,,I thought chin dust was similar. I've been years out of small animals now sure. :/ oops.

I NEVER said once you were a bad or inadequate owner. I only stated the water thing bc it looked wet like water and it was not mentioned in the original post.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I've been dealing with the issue on a hamster specific forum.

chinchilla sand is also not safe due to silica. we use calcium carbonate sand its the safest but playsand is second best.

its actually a common misconception to use chinchilla sand and dust.

Sofi now has bad diarrhea if i could bathe her it'd be great lol but I cleaned her with a paper towel and am letting her do her thing

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Betta Bomb

Is she cleaning herself? (yea I've been used to reading misconceptions about small animals bc I found it's generational. A parent who raised them as a kid will assume the rules for care remain the same)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

she is making a nest and she has cleaned all the oil off her belly so I assume she is cleaning herself. I find it funny people dont use common sense. I am currently designing a cage for 1 ham using ALL my cages connected and all my supplies. But thats years away I hope

Proud Mommy to-

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Betta Bomb

Well, to older people they know all the facts and are just hard headed. Maybe the oil will help her like a laxative and help her pass easier. Hopefully. BTW, she looks BIG in the pics!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

she's my chubby and yeah thats what the olive oil was for

Proud Mommy to-

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:30 PM
It's all for them

Still keeping paws crossed for Sofi. Didn't you say you had an appointment at a vet for her today?

The chinchilla dust issue was actually a good thing to bring up. I don't know anything about small animal care, (I only recently ever met my first chinchilla and learned about chinchilla dust) and now we all know that chinchilla dust is harmful to hamsters, so it's good that it was brought up.

I'm sure you take excellent care of your little ones, and we all want Sofi to get better.