Some of Drakes tail or tail fur is missing..help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

Some of Drakes tail or tail fur is missing..help?

Well i'm not sure what happened, I was showing my sister how they sandbath, so I put Drake in the tank with sand, well I noticed some dry blood on his tail so I checked it out, it seems some fur is missing, and there is just a string of skin or bone? I showed my mom and we don't know if Josh did it or if his tail got stuck and he just pulled at it, either way, he doesn't seem in pain, he isn't squeaking of fighitng with Josh, or anythin different. My mom promised that we'll go to the vets tomorrow and see what they reccomend.. I honestly don't know what came off, tail or fur, but either way, I know the tail wont grow back but the fur will right? We're taking him to the vets tomorrow so no infections occur.. I didn't put anything on it.. I heard flour stops bleeding but it's not bleeding, although it looks like it was.. i'll check on him periodically. Anything I should do until the vet visit tomorrow?
I'm all shooken up over this, I love him so much!
On the good side.. both gerbils are acting their happy bouncy selves.. LOL.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Bump?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:36 PM
is a little "special"

Just make sure that hes comfortable untill tomarrow. As long as you get some antibiotics, he should be just fine I used to have a hamster that was missing a leg, so a gerbil without part of his tail should get along just fine LOL!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Just make sure that hes comfortable untill tomarrow. As long as you get some antibiotics, he should be just fine I used to have a hamster that was missing a leg, so a gerbil without part of his tail should get along just fine LOL!
Wow, a hamster with no leg seems..unique.. LOL! Thanks for the advice.. im calmed down now

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Update.. I was feeding D&J and of course I wanted to check out Drake.. so I got him out before he started to eat and I saw that the little stub of skin/bone was gone.. so I figured it died and fell off. He still seems all happy and hyper and is getting along with Josh just fine. So my mom's gonna call the vet today and see if it is necessary to come in, and if it is, then we'll take him in.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I am allergic to maths

Gerbils have a defence mechanism where they drop the end of their tail to get away from a predator, kind of like when a lizard drops its tail or a chins fur slip. You can pick them up at the base of their tail and place them in your hand but if you grab the end or it gets caught, they will drop it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
Update.. I was feeding D&J and of course I wanted to check out Drake.. so I got him out before he started to eat and I saw that the little stub of skin/bone was gone.. so I figured it died and fell off. He still seems all happy and hyper and is getting along with Josh just fine. So my mom's gonna call the vet today and see if it is necessary to come in, and if it is, then we'll take him in.
He should be fine. I've had gerbils who have lost their tails. I've even had a gerbil who didn't have any back legs and he was fine
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

yeah one of cornflakes babies tail is exacty the same! the end of the tail looks like bone or skin and no fur at the end of it, my sisters past gerbils was like that, but i think the baby just liked the taste of its own tail, but its fine so urs should be to

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies

Tags
gerbil bleeding tail fur