Strange Gerbil Situation! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Strange Gerbil Situation!

Hi again Folks,
Sorry to hit you with another question so soon after my last email about alfalfa but I have a doozy. My husband and I give our gerbils rides all the time, which they love (this consists of walking around the living room with the gerbil perched on our crossed arms, and running up and down our arms, necks, chest, etc) but one of the gerbils is always peeing on us almost every time he has a ride, and he is the one that seems to love the rides best so I know he is not peeing out of fear or nervousness...the other gerbil never does this. Anyone know what accounts for all this peeing? We keep having to put our shirts in the wash almost daily.

Vladina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:56 PM

the only reason I know of them peeing is that they are scared or maybe has a weak bladder. I am holding my gerbils all the time when at the computer and they roam around inside my shirt I have scratches everywhere lol when I get up to go into the living room or to put one back to get another for a turn, they get scared I don't know why because they are still with me when my son comes in real noisy and picks them up they will pee because he does scare them. the (babies) the most. My gerbils don't like the rides I love them so much.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:21 PM

I think it's another way of marking you.... your gerbil just wants to make sure that everyone knows that you are his. 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thanks for the posts! Yes, we assumed that he was marking us as part of his special "gerbil clan," but we got a bit concerned when it was ALOT of peeing. He is always so anxious to get out and go for rides so it sure doesn't seem like he is scared. Maybe he just has a weak bladder and he wants to mark us. Anyway, thanks all!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Gerbils Scared of Noisy Kids

Deana,
Yes, I know what you mean...I have two nephews who are typical kids...noisy and all that, and when they come over, I stand guard over them and insist that they stand very still and stay super quiet..my gerbils are so noise sensitive, especially being in a quiet house with just my husband and I, that they get scared to death when kids are around. So I am the protective mom with them!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 06:10 AM

I am too really I am I honestly forgot about the marking business lol my males are doing that all the time it doesn't matter where they are or who they are on lol I love my little babies and I don't care what they do really except I don't want them timid, I am surprised they're not. I know they will come right to me and when Steven gets them they are looking for me and start coming to me when they see me coming to the rescue it's so cute they love and trust mommy more than brother. My 6 week olds are learning who the calmer one is also, and they only will come to me willingly before anyone else. I got thier trust in the beginning and still have it, where Steven lost it because he is loud and he screams when they crawl on him or nibble on his ear lol they tickle as they crawl on you and he will squeal, me I just grin and bear it when they get my ear or finger they smell sunflower seeds on me I eat alot of them and they love them so I get nibbled on My babie don't bite I just have one that does and he gets a gentle thump on the nose for it that doesn't make him stop though and I don't know why he does it but if I go in slow and pick him up under him instead of coming down with my hands he won't do it, I have to take him out once a week at least to clean out his cage and he and his brother go to the walk a bout while I am doing that, they get thier sand bath then too , it is so cute to watch them to do that and the infants are learning now too by watching the parents, I just love watching them lol can ya tell I love Gerbils? I better quit now before I go on and on. I am going to take more pictures of the babies they have really grown sinc e the last ones I have Nibbles in my siggy, she is over a year now about 10 months or so in the picture.

Tags
sunflower seeds