Swine Flu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Swine Flu

i was just diagnosed with the most wonderful swine flu trust me it is all its cracked up to be plus a heck of a lot more and if you havent gotten the flu shot may i suggest not to since now i find out getting the flu shot raises your chances of getting the swine flu apparently anywho i was curious can i give this to my lovely hamsters i havent been able to go into my room at all since i dont want to make them sick and poor shelby (soon to be changed) HE is just getting over Pneumonia so it would be harder for his little body to fight it off if it did affect them well if anybody has any info please and thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry...but I don't understand the question??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

hmmm i thought the question was pretty obvious any way maybe its the swine talking i was wondering if i can pass this nasty thing to my hamsters????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am sorry for the misunderstanding! Everything was a big run on sentence and very confusing. You are first talking about how the flu shot makes your chances higher and then moved on.

They can't really get the flu easily, but with exposure over a LONG period of time it could happen. Although the chance is slim.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Curmudgeon

You might want to to check your facts and do a little more research before leaping to a rash assumption.

There was a newspaper report of a Canadian study that reportedly showed that the "regular" flu vaccine increased the chances of getting the Novel H1N1 flu. However, this "study" was never published, it was only reported on by a newspaper, so it's likely the facts were distorted in order to be more newsworthy. The results have not been replicated in ANY other study. Most experts (including the WHO and the CDC) have dismissed the Canadian report.

Since most of the folks that read this forum are in their 20's or younger, they are the people most at risk from the novel H1N1 (Swine) flu. This flu strain is particularly dangerous to them, and you could be endangering someones life by telling them NOT to get the flu shot. Young folks, pregnant women and other folks with other complicating conditions (like asthma, MD, etc) should get the H1N1 flu shot as soon as it's available.

The H1N1, in just a couple of months, has already killed more young people than the regular flu does in the whole year. For most people this strain is not any worse than the regular flu. However, if complications arise, it's a much more serious situation. There is also a significant number of healthy young individuals who seem to succumb to this particular strain.

Sorry for your luck with the flu, but no vaccine is 100% effective, and flu vaccines can be more variable due to your individual immune system, how you are exposed to the flu, and what strain you are exposed to.

As far as your pets go, it is possible for many species of mammals to get the Influenza A viruses (which H1N1 is). I don't know of any studies that have included hamsters, but just to be sure, I'd see if someone else could take care of them while you are sick and running a fever. Also keep away from their food and caging while you are sick.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Normally the flue is species specific, but it's a bit tricky with this one, so to be sure I would just wash my hands every time I needed to do something with the hammies.

Some mink over here just got the swine flue, and now they are talking about if it gets back into humans, then it would be a different strain, and cause a lot of problems.

Bob:
As far as I'm informed, the problem isen't specificly with young people, but with kids, old people and people with some kind of sickness who could be very sick from a normal flue.

But how many people have died so far?
I come from a very small countrie - only 5.5 million - and every year a 1000 die from the normal flue. Are we even up that high on a world basis with the swine flue?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Last edited by Chinchi; 10-24-2009 at 09:50 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Normally the flue is species specific, but it's a bit tricky with this one, so to be sure I would just wash my hands every time I needed to do something with the hammies.

Some mink over here just got the swine flue, and now they are talking about if it gets back into humans, then it would be a different strain, and cause a lot of problems.

Bob:
As far as I'm informed, the problem isen't specificly with young people, but with kids, old people and people with some kind of sickness who could be very sick from a normal flue.

But how many people have died so far?
I come from a very small countrie - only 5.5 million - and every year a 1000 die from the normal flue. Are we even up that high on a world basis with the swine flue?
There's a lot of confusion when you compare H1N1 to other influenzas.

For one thing, the flu is not species specific (at least not the types of flu that commonly affect humans).The H1N1 (as well as the H5N1 avian flue) is part of the Influenza A complex, this is the group that is most communicable to other mammals (for example, pigs and horses) and birds. Given the right circumstances and mode of transmission, there are any number of mammalians species that might come down with the H1N1 influenza.
The other two main types, Influenza B and C are not quite as generic in the animals they'll infect.

Normally, over 90% of deaths and about 60 percent of hospitalization occur in people older than 65.

From the CDC:
"At this time, there are relatively fewer cases and deaths reported in people 65 years and older, which is unusual when compared with seasonal flu. However, pregnancy and other previously recognized high risk medical conditions from seasonal influenza appear to be associated with increased risk of complications from this 2009 H1N1. These underlying conditions include asthma, diabetes, suppressed immune systems, heart disease, kidney disease, neurocognitive and neuromuscular disorders and pregnancy."

The reason that this strain seems to be such a problem with younger folks, is that many of us "older" folks were exposed to it (or similar strains) when we were younger, back in the 50's and the sixties. People that have no previous immunities can be at a greater risk for this strain. As of Oct 10 and since August, there have been 292 laboratory confirmed deaths that are attributable to H1N1 here in the US.

Last year, throughout the entire flu season (2008-2009), the regular Type A flu killed 88 children in the US. This year, according to the CDC, there have been 95 deaths of children. The season typically goes until April or May. So, we still haven't seen the peak of the season!

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Last edited by Mygala; 10-24-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Tags
illness, sick