Syrian or dwarf? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

View Poll Results: Which Hamster do you like better?
Syrian,teddy bear, etc 21 51.22%
dwarf hamster 20 48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Part of the Pack

Well, Idk. I have had one female and two males (currently have a male) and they are about the same. It just depends on the kritter. My little boy that I have now is very independent and doesn't care about getting out much, where my other two (female and male) always wanted to get out. How old is your female? And where did you get her from-petstore?

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby-girl View Post
thank you for the advise petluvr01.

And i always thought that female hamsters were calmer. (I was told by a friend...)
My male hammie is quite calm.He is calm,if he is not running in his wheel or ball.He is really friendly as well.My sister also has a male hammie and he has a very similar personality to my J.J.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

both are lovely, and even though I like syrian betta, dwarf hamsters are more likely to groom their owners, how sweet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 PM

syrians, my dwarves are rather mean...i can't break them of thier biting habit, but i still love them
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petluvr01 View Post
Well, Idk. I have had one female and two males (currently have a male) and they are about the same. It just depends on the kritter. My little boy that I have now is very independent and doesn't care about getting out much, where my other two (female and male) always wanted to get out. How old is your female? And where did you get her from-petstore?
she was 8 weeks on the 29th. I got her from a petshop in Beeston. (you wouldnt know because you probably dont live in Nottingham, England...) But its a very good petshop. ive had her since she was 6 weeks.

She has improved alot. she hardly bites now because i think she trusts me now. I think she likes being taken out because every time i come in the room, she up on her hind legs.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM

Dwarfs are really cute but I would say Syrians. Dwarfs tend to be much more aggresive towards people...
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM

my favorite is syrian! they are calmer, super cute! and male is better too! i love male syrians!!
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Part of the Pack

My first hamster was a male syrian, and he was the best hamster in the world, lol. Later I had two female RCDs, and they didn't do as well... One was friendly, the other was really skittish and liked to bite. Then I rescued a syrian female, and she was really un-tame. I worked with her as much as I could, and eventually rehomed her to someone who could spend more time with her. So in my limited experience, a male syrian would be the way to go because they are more mellow, and very sweet.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

syrian all the way! Mine is so loyal and a great companian, I wish I could spend all day with him, he goes to sleep in my lap and loves being handled! I have been sooo lucky with him!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:33 PM

Dwarfs are so sweet and cute!
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 AM

My dwarfs have been much friendlier than my syrian. So I would definantly say DWARF!
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM

Unhappy But are Syrian Hamsters in Decline?

I voted Syrian.

Dwarf hamsters are vicious little critters, and we have a mutual aversion to each other.

I prefer male Syrian hamsters, because all my female Syrians wanted to do was escape, escape, escape. My males were lots more laid back and would sleep on my shoulder.

but are Syrian hamsters in decline? I went to three different major pet stores today and all they had were Dwarf hamsters, and NO Syrians! I finally asked the nearest employee, and he said they no-longer carry Syrian hamsters! That's at PetsMart!

In the words of Paula Cole: "Where have all the hamsters gone?"
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Well I haven't voted either way, as though I have two Syrians and their very lovely, I do *want* some dwarf hamsters in the future, well - Roborovski hammies to be precise!

There seem to be a lot of lone Robo's in rescue here in the Uk, so knowing me I'll probably end up with one of these. But not yet, as we're rather full up at the moment.

As for whether male Syrian's are calmer than females.... hmmm, I can't tell any difference between our two to be honest! They are both hyperactive and more demanding than our three chinchillas and nine rats put together! No-one warned us!!

We've actually commented on how surprised we are that they are popular childrens pets as they don't get up 'til late (ours don't anyway!) and really benefit from a good long free range, which not that many children can give, especially at 10pm or later!

Because they are both so keen to be out and about, we are going to try to give them a small playpen area each (permanent one) with a bigger cage to try and keep them happy. They have Wodent Wheels but seem to have soooo much excess energy to burn! I can't help but think a Robo' would be easier..... but maybe not!
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 PM

I like Syrian hamsters best, I suppose because they are the "original" kind of hamster and therefore much more familiar than the newer varieties. But all hamsters are cute no matter what breed they are!
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM

Wink bothhh!!

i would love to have both..but i had 2 baby dwarfs and they are the besttt!! =D

<3

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, hind legs, pet store, pet stores, sunflower seeds, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, teddy bear