Taming young gerbils - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Question Taming young gerbils

Hi guys...Im so sorry this is going to sound very repetitive for you. I have two female gerbils. I've had them a month now and they were approx. 6weeks old when I bought them. I've had gerbils before as a child but never baby ones. They are soooo jittery and nervous. They nibble all the time and do not like being approached or held one bit. I have tried ALL suggested tips since having bought them to try tame them but it is not working. I even tried letting them run around outside the cage and get used to me and my hand but nothing...if anything they are more jumpy. I leave my hand inside the cage (washed and clean of food) and they just ignore it and when they do show interest they nip or super sniff it. They will, however, take seeds from my hands so if anything I am very confused as to whether they love or hate me. It is very disheartening as I have tried it all.... pleeeeeease any suggestions would be brilliant! Thanks Val x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:56 AM

Sounds like they wern't handled enough by the breeder when they were much younger.

What i do is sit next to the tank and talk softly to them and offer them treats from my hands. They'll soon associate your hands with a treat and will be less frightened

When you lower yor hand into their home, don't hover over them as that will frighten them.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Marcia.... I have been trying the odd thing. I've started taking all their sunflower seeds out of the food mix and feeding them as treats in the palm of my hand. One of them, Frodo, is becoming more tame and will sit on my hand maybe 10seconds which is far better than before. Peanut on the other hand is more cautious and will just grab a seed quickly and run for the hills haha. Hoping this will get better with repetition. Still no closer to holding them though...they tend to nip me :-S Val x