Teddy Bear Hamsters - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Teddy Bear Hamsters

I saw photos of someone's teddybear hamster posted online and he was adorable. I had never heard of these before. What do you people know about them and their tempermant? Are they sold in pet stores? Harder to raise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:22 PM

Smile

They are long-haired Syrian hamsters, just like the short-haired variety, and all are equally sweet.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 AM

What Zouave said. Most pet stores that sell hansters have the long-haired syrians at one time or another, just not always.

By the way, the pic in your sig is adorable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I think I saw some in the petstore here. They usually have them from time to time. I'm sure they go pretty quick though and from what I remember they're about $20 per hamster.

*Missy*
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
sure they go pretty quick though and from what I remember they're about $20 per hamster.
WOW! syrian hamsters are usually the cheapest around here... the petstore I go to... which sells (feeder) mice at $4, have the syrian hamsters at $6 the short-haired (called "fancy hamsters" by the store) and $7 the long-haired (called "angora hamsters" by the store). Dwarf hamsters are sold for $15 and gerbils for $13.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:11 PM

I owned two hamsters when i was younger, one teddy bear and one shorthaired, not sure what kind. The teddy bear hamster is sooo very cute and fluffy and loves attention after they get used to you. I recently bought my brother one for christmas. Cost me $6. I happen to like them better i think they are cuter and nicer...but thats just my oppinion. They tend to grow "wings" little bits of fur that are longer then the rest in certain areas of the body. Very cute in my oppinion. You can try any pet store they usually have them. I also know that the petco by me had sheets of papers in one isle you could take that gave you a run down on different kinds of rodents. They had one for teddy bears. Good luck. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I'll have to look but I swear it was the teddy bear hamsters that were $20. But maybe not

*Missy*
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 PM

I was just at PetCo tonight and they had teddybear hamsters for $8.99. I wanted one soooo bad but I already have 2 animals and no money so 3 would be bad. lol
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I tried looking on their website to see if they listed the prices of the animals, but it doesn't. I swear I saw hamsters for $19.99 somewhere though and I was like

*Missy*
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:57 PM

its possible they sell iguanas up here for 10 or 20 bucks but down in florida they sell for over 40... and those are the babies so i guess it depends on where you live.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliment on my sig pic. That's my little sesame. She's got a whole lot of attitude for such a small hamster.

Thanks for the info.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

From what my understanding has always been, Syrian hamsters are the larger hamster, either long or short hair.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28
From what my understanding has always been, Syrian hamsters are the larger hamster, either long or short hair.
Larger than what? They are way smaller than European hamsters (which are not available as pets, as far as I know).
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Larger than dwarfs is what I meant.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 PM

$20 for a teddy bear hamster?! O_O
They're very common here! They're just as much as syrians.

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, black bear hamsters, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, pet store, pet stores, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster, teddy bear hamsters