Theo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Unhappy Theo

Well, poor little Theodore isn't doing very well. He is 2 1/2 years old, and as of today he was breathing really hard and is very wobbly when he walks. He had something pinkish red coming out of his mouth/nose, but we aren't sure if it is blood or of the Yogies he put in his cheeks melted.
If he is still alive in the morning, we are going to put him to sleep tomorrow. We gave him a little bit of my dog's sedative for thunderstorms (Vet said it was OK), so he is just resting peacefully for now.

Keep the little guy in your prayers. He was my sister's hamster, but I'm going to miss him. He was one of the sweetest hamsters we've ever had, and we've had a LOT of hamsters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

awww poor little guy

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Yeah. He actually just started eating and drinking and acting somewhat normal a couple minutes ago, so we aren't sure what we are going to do now, if he continues to improve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw, hope he gets better. My old ham Button turned quickly like that too. He was nearly 3 yrs old. He would have good days and bad days. I think it lasted a week or so.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM
she-mayor of Whoville

Good luck, any news?

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

Izzie the
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Theo decided he would stick around for a while yet, LOL.
A side effect of the sedative we gave him is getting REALLY hungry and thirsty, so he started eating and drinking a lot after we gave it to him. I think it was just what he needed, because the little guy is back to normal now.
He's still a wobbly old man, but he isn't breathing heavily or acting like he is almost dead anymore.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Betta Bomb

wow! That's good!! He's a zombie ham ^^ Hope he hangs in there
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Haha, yeah he is. He probably won't be around too much longer, but as long as he is comfortable we aren't going to put him to sleep yet.

We are pretty glad that we didn't go ahead and put him down on Sunday though. The cheapest e-vet wanted $55 to put him to sleep, but the other one we called wanted $240! That's why we wanted to wait until Monday, but then he was all right again.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Mouse Obsessor

Good to hear he is doing better. I hope he continues to improve.
He is one old hamster. lol

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Jessica: I hope that your hamster continues to do well and that you don't have to take him to the vet and have him put to sleep.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks guys. Well, Theo just passed away. He died while my sister was holding him. Rest in peace, little fellow.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Mouse Obsessor

I am so sorry to hear that. It is very hard losing a pet. I had to put my mouse to sleep a few months ago.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Betta Bomb

Sorry for little Theo You were great to him. RIP little guy.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Jessica: I'm really sorry that your hamster died. It sounds like he died in a peaceful way since your sister was holding him.