Thinking of getting a hamster. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting a hamster.

Hi Im thinking of getting a hamster,but before I rush out I wanna know everything there is to know! I wanna be a great owner!.
So could you please tell me:

What type of cage is good
What do they eat
How long they live
Do they get sick alot
Do they need baths
Do they need exercise everyday like my guinea pigs
Is it best to get more then one so it has company?
Male or Females?

Thanks! Anyother info would be great too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What type of cage is good?

You can use a large aqaurium but I prefer wire cages since they love to climb and usually have multiple levels. Even better, you can use an aquarium for the bottom and have a wire cage top. Stores sell cage tops that have different levels and attach to the tank...does that make sense? Another option is a large bin, those offer alot of room, are cheap, and are deep enough that it's hard for hamsters to escape (though you need a top anyway).

What do they eat?

A high-quality hamster diet such as Harry Hamster supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies (not too many or the hamster may get sick) and occasional mealworms, pieces of high-quality dog food, or another protein source. Good treats are corn, sunflower seeds, and nuts. They should also have timothy hay available. They might not really eat it, but it's fun to burrow in.

How long they live?

Average lifespan is 2-5 years.

Do they get sick alot?

No, they're quite hardy. But if they do become sick they need immediate vet care as they go downhill quickly.

Do they need baths?

No. If your hamster somehow got dirty you could use a damp cloth but dry the hamster really, really well. I've personally never had to do this.

Do they need exercise everyday like my guinea pigs?

IMO, yes. I took mine out everyday. But if you get them out at least a few times a week it should be ok.

Is it best to get more then one so it has company?

Nope. Hamsters are solitary by nature. It's possible to keep dwarf hamsters together but they still could fight. I'd get a single Syrian hamster .

Male or Females?

There are no real differences. I prefer females as I found them to be more affectionate but it's a matter of opinion .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,would this type of cage be ok? I have an extra one lying around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggieLuver
Thanks,would this type of cage be ok? I have an extra one lying around.
How far apart are the bars? It looks like the hamster could just squeeze out.

You'd also want to add another level or something because they love to jump and climb .

They sell these wooden perches that clip on to the side of the cage called Leap N' Ledges which would be good .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

They are about 2in apart
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
They are about 2in apart
Dwarf hamsters would definately escape and a Syrian probably would too.

That seems pretty far apart and they can squeeze through really small spaces.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh well I could by a bin then.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Oh well I could by a bin then.
Ok, just make sure it has a secure lid .

When were you planning on getting your hamster? You should have everything set up first .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Oh it wont be for quite some time,im still gonna read about them for awhile.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Oh it wont be for quite some time,im still gonna read about them for awhile.
That's good .

A good book I recommend is "Hamsters: A Complete Pet Manual" by Barron's .

~Stephanie

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I'll look for that one and some others at the library next time I go.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

I got a hamster a few weeks ago.Named Tiko.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 PM

I would definitely go with a tank cage, unless it is metal (no plastic cages) they'll probably eventually eat through them. Don't buy two hamsters unless they already came from the same cage and even then I do not know if it is a good idea. My experience was that they fought extensively and we had to get 2 seperate tanks. THey definitely need to exercise A LOT...if you like to sleep at night do not put the cage in your room they love to run, and even those plastic wheels make noise. They eat regular hamster food, but I find they tend to particularly like to eat sun flower seeds, so if you want to get a seperate bag of sunflower seeds to throw in (provided your hamster likes them.) Also they need things to chew on otherwise they're teeth will keep growing, so you can buy them chewing blocks, or you can just throw in cardboard like from toilet paper rolls or something that they can chew on. Some live for a year while others can live for about 3 yrs. I think it all depends on how well kept they are. Males or females? I've only had males so I can;t judge on that one. They probably don't make a difference. just don't buy a male and a female...they'll make a lot of babies and the father will eat them if not seperated when they are born.
One last prefernce...I prefer teddy bear hamsters i find them to be the most friendly. But I guess too it could just depend on how they are raised. Well good luck.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 AM

you can also go to this website that has info about hamsters http://hamster-dwarf.blogspot.com/ if you are getting a dwarf hamster. If you are getting a Syrian you can go to http://www.avidpets.com/Rodents/hamsters.htm

Last edited by Roxy; 03-28-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Tags
bear hamster, dog food, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, hamster food, quality dog food, sunflower seeds, syrian hamster, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster, teddy bear hamsters, timothy hay, vet care, wire cage, wire cages