Thirsty Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thirsty Hamster

Help my hamster won't stop drinking and peeing!! Anyone have an idea as what could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM
the rodent lover<3

Is this behavior new? If so.. it could be diabetes.
Quote:
Diabetes is most often seen in Dwarf Campbells Russian Hamsters but can affect other species. Unfortunately many of the early Albino Campbells were found to have the disease but from the cross breeding of colours it can occur now in any colour. Reputable breeders have worked hard to eliminate diabetes and it is not a common problem.
Hamsters that develop diabetes will show symptoms of excessive drinking, excessive urinating and wasting. Other symptoms may include low body temperature, shaking and trembling and at worst a comatose state.
Veterinary treatment should be sought immediately. A pedialyte solution in the water bottle will help to avoid dehydration.
In some cases the feeding of a sugar free diet will help. If your vet recommends a sugar free diet this can be achieved by feeding a good quality seed mix, alfalfa, fresh vegetables such as carrots, turnips, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower daily and some boiled egg. Commercially processed food treats should be avoided because of the molasses and corn sugar they contain and fresh fruit should be avoided because of the fructose.
(Source: http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters/hamster_diabetes.htm)
However.. there are other possible reasons of dehydration. Does your hamster have a water supply at ALL times?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

He has water all the time, thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
is a little "special"

It sounds like diabetes to me. I used to have a diabetic hamster, but we didnt know untill it was too late. You should probably take it to a vet to know for sure whats wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
sick hamster