Three little bundles of roborovski joy! HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Three little bundles of roborovski joy! HELP!

I just got three roborovskis. They have a bar cage, but can't get through the bars. I'm using carefresh bedding, they have a fully sealed no-little-holes-to-get-their-feet-stuck-in-wheel. They have real tubes and ones to chew on, two food dishes so they don't fight, a water bottle, and plenty of food. My problem: I've had hamsters before, do I treat them like that? I had dwarf hamsters, too. But never roborovskis. Help! They don't really chew on anything, or drink, are they unhappy? I can hold them, they always crawl into my hand, so instead of unhappy, are they sick? I thought I did my research, I know they are very energetic, so why can I hold them? Is it possible I just have mellow hams? That would be better, but is there a ham disease causing mellowness? I appreciate all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They aren't drinking? If that's really the case then I would get them checked out by a vet. Most likely, though, they're drinking when you aren't there.

Are they mellow when in the cage too?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, it may just be since they came from the desert, the don't drink as much... But the second question, no, they are totally insane asylum escapees.
But when I put my hand i there and pick them up, the sit there and let me pet them. So I put them down and they run away and go have fun again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Well I think they just might be, but not very much. And in their cage they are like insane asylum escapees... but I put my hand in there, pick them up, and they sit in my hand and let me pet them. So I put them down and they go have fun again... But I do have unusually good luck in getting mellow rodents that live long, happy, healthy lives.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There is no difference between Robos and other dwarves. Robos are smaller and faster, therefore not all that suitable for handling or for children, as they tend to escape and quite difficult to catch... How old are they? If they came from another household, they may have already got used to us, the humans... Re drinking. Observe the level in the water bottles. You can mark them with a pen and see how much of the water had gone in a day. I would agree with Sasami, that they perhaps eat and drink to their little hearts' delight whilst you are fast asleep...:-) Any hamster will NOT survive long without water, so they would have died long ago, if they did not drink..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 AM

Hi, Roxy. This may sound like a silly idea, but if you are really worried about your little guys drinking, it might be worth a try. I'm not sure what you have, but if they are "little" then, chances are, they won't be drinking enough for you to notice the water level go down (enough to calm your worries), right? How about this, try putting a plain white paper towel under their bedding or even on top of their bedding to see if you can catch some of their urine. If they are going potty, then they are drinking. This might help you feel better. If they are new to you, and feeling a bit nervous, chances are they won't drink in front of you until they know you. I know that with my degus that I got, I didn't see them drink for a month after I got them. What you have might be called just being a "good nervous mommy syndrome" which is good. Anyway, welcome to the forum. You will like it here. Good luck and don't forget, post pictures as soon as you can. I would love to see what your little guys/gals look like. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

I posted pictures, Mods are approving it...And they seem pretty comfortable around me. But they are small, (But MIGHTY!) they may just not be thristy hams...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Since they're pretty energetic when in the cage and just calm down when handled it seems like you just have very tame hamsters .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I get lucky that way!
YAY! ten posts!

Tags
carefresh bedding, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food dishes