tips on homemade hamster toys - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

tips on homemade hamster toys

hi there i bought a baby female syrian hammie on wednesday along with a few toys for her cage. i just wondered if anyone had any ideas for homemade toys? ive already given her loo roll tubes but dont really know what else is safe to give her.
i did alot of reserch before i got her, as have only kept gerbils before, but any advice people think may be useful to me would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I am allergic to maths

Welcome to the forum
Mine loves to dig so I got her a rabbit-sized bowl and I fill it with sand or wood shavings and put treats in the middle/bottom to dig for, she loves it and its fun to watch!
Also, if you have a fruit tree tree you can skin and wash the branches. They chew them and if you lean them up against the cage or over each other they climb on them too.
You can make hammocks to climb in out of pretty much any old cloth.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:16 AM

A lil box stuffed with treats. Its awesome watching them gnaw it open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

homemade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
A lil box stuffed with treats. Its awesome watching them gnaw it open.
You can also buy little boxes filled with treats, but I guess that wouldn't be homemade

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello Earthling

When I had my hamster I would put her food in a toilet paper roll and fold the end up so she would have to work for it.

She also liked climbing on things.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

My hamster loves to just climb around her bars all day of her cage. And she also fills up her tube that connects the top part of her cage and the bottom part. It very entertaining to watch her pull the bedding back out and climb down....and then start again!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 PM

Nice ideas! I'll have to try the bowl of bedding to dig in thing. :-)

I took a roll from packing tape that finished (different from toilet paper rolls- large diameter, sturdy cardboard, and only a couple of inches long) and tied it to the bars of the cage. It now hangs in the same position as an exercise wheel would. The hammies like to jump and climb through it, like a lion at a circus. :0p
They also sit inside and clean themselves sometimes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMZu View Post
I took a roll from packing tape that finished (different from toilet paper rolls- large diameter, sturdy cardboard, and only a couple of inches long) and tied it to the bars of the cage. It now hangs in the same position as an exercise wheel would. The hammies like to jump and climb through it, like a lion at a circus. :0p
They also sit inside and clean themselves sometimes.
I love that idea!! I'll have to try that!! Did you hang it from the top so it moves like a swing, or is it stationary? That has multiple purposes!! They can climb, jump, sit, or chew!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM

I tied it tightly. A swing is a good idea! As long as the string isn't long enough for the hamsters to get tangled.