truth about Black bear hamsters - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:56 PM

I have had quite a few hamsters over the years, syrian mainly. short haired, long haired (teddy bear) i personaly think that the accual breed or couler of the hamster dosnt reflect on its personality just like other animals, or human for that matter, how it is treated reflects on how it will treat others and act! i had a short haired syrian that no matter how hard i tried he just couldnt be tamed mind you i got him when he was about a year and a half old and the previous owners ignored him and neglected him! Also I have had teddy bear hampsters that were quite aggresive till they got a little older than were just dolls and loved to be held! now about the whole black bear thing I had a black bear hamster a couple years back that was so tame and sweet from the day i got it! Just recently i got another young black bear and hes very skitty and dosnt like to be handled at all. I found out that the first pet store i got the first black bear from are required to handle the hamsters as part of there daily care routine where as the one i just bought recently they dont handle them at all! just goes to show its not about the breed ! just imagine you where a tiny little thing and something 200X your size is coming at you to pick you up how would you react!! hehe so just be pataint it takes a little time to tame them but its worth it in the end sorry about the long post !! hope it helps some!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:59 AM

I have a black bear hamster she is my first hamster I have ever had. We wanted to get a long-haired hamster but when we went to the pet store they wouldn't let us pet them and they tried to bite.
We then when to petsmart were I saw another long-haired hamster she was sleeping and had no desire to interact with us. Then I saw black bear hamster they were jumping up and down and the cage glass trying to get out to see us. They let us hold them and the store clerk put the hamster back in the cage and she wouldn't go back in she kept jumping out and landing in the house the clerk was cathing her in.

Bottom line to this story black bear hamsters are more intertested in playing with you then sleeping or biting. I have been bitten once but I had forgotten to wash my hands after handling food. I love her she is so sweet and cute.

Black bear hamsters are known for bneing the sweetest species.

Perfect species for first time hamster owners and for experience owners too.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:38 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan
Thanks. Come on guys. I need some encouragement here. I'm trying to convince myself that I NEED another hamster or that my kids will benefit from having one in the classroom. . .
I have always been opposed to animals in schools.

Black Bears were initially bred to be extra tame, but by now there is no difference. All Syrians are very tame, once tamed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 AM

Dwarves vs. Syrians

Quote:
Originally posted by Zouave: All Syrians are very tame, once tamed.
some people say that if someone let a dwarf hamster back into the wild, you would have to re-tame it all over again.
(In other words, Syrians, you only have to tame them once, but dwarves, can become untame if they are not handled enough)

Last edited by Roxy; 03-16-2006 at 08:14 AM.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Title Fairy Was Here

I wish i Had known about how nice black bears were earlier i almos got one but then i got a calico who bites alot
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 PM

It was stupidity that began the black bear thing- All european hamsters are nicer, larger, and more docile- and the mills that imported them initially thought they were a different breed. Personally, I find it offensive to have to call a hamster a bear to make it appealling- very offensive and insulting to hamsters. I have now a cream roan hamster- my Rabbit- and he is the most laid-back hamster you will ever meet. I bred him- and I breed all my hamsters- for temperament. I do not sell or place any hamster until it is past tame- docile, even. When a hamster lets you kiss it on the belly without flinching- it is properly tamed.

I don't really see how a hamster makes a good classroom pet, though- they are active when the kids are at home and their noise, poking, and fumbling is just going to stress the hamster. What about a rabbit? A nice lop or new zealand- a breed known to be very tolerable to noise and handling.
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Title Fairy Was Here

I think its gonna be a long time bfore my hamster lets me kiss her on her belly
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

This is an OLD thread!!

I am hoping to get a black syrian tho soon!Thats the kind I became most interested in.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 AM

i think the problem is that people often confuse the "black bear" hamsters with the European hamster, often referred to as the "black-bellied" hamster, and is a different breed that is usually the size of guinea pigs and live 8 years in captivity.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 AM

There isn't a difference between Syrians and Black bears. Black bear is just a color in a Syrian. Syrian..Black Bear.. same thing.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy
some people say that if someone let a dwarf hamster back into the wild, you would have to re-tame it all over again.
(In other words, Syrians, you only have to tame them once, but dwarves, can become untame if they are not handled enough)
Dwarfs never get tame! lol
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMeBre
Dwarfs never get tame! lol
all six of my dwarfs have been tame.
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

I know ppl who had/have tame dwarf hams as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Part of the Pack

My dwarf was very tame, until he got old, and sick. THEN he was Very nippy! But its understandable, if I was old and sick I wouldnt want someone picking me up out of my bed either! =)
It seems some take longer to tame.... but if you take the time.. they will love being handled!
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 07:04 PM

None of the dwarves I've known have EVER been tame or been able to be trusted...but that doesnt go for ALL dwarves I know.
Closed Thread

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, black bear hamsters, black bears, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, teddy bear