truth about Black bear hamsters - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Part of the Pack

hmm.. well i must have been lucky!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:43 PM

Yes, Black Bears are Syrians. I used to raise a variety of Syrians, including Black Bear. They are NOT necessarily friendlier. In fact, my most EVIL hamster..was a black bear female.. She'd JUMP to latch onto you. Was at trick* to feed/water/clean her cage.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 PM
What the shell! :)

My black bear hamster

We have a black bear hamster also and it is VERY adorable and friendly...and slow it "runs".. a very slow run.. on it wheel and sleeps all day (but they're nocturnal so they're supposed to)
I have a gerbil also and keep them in one cage but separated with thick plexiglass...well my black bear hamster crawled over it one day for some reason and bit my gerbil in the eye, tail and back...I was so surprised that he would have done taht much harm to my sweet gerbil. Other than that he is a very sweet hamster just a little protective of his area I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:34 PM

It is common knowledge that a sryian hamster will seriously harm or kill ANY other animal it comes into contact with. I'm very surprised you would house them together in such a way that the syrian has access to the gerbil, and I don't know why you would be surprised at all that it would hurt the gerbil.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Whatever you are told, Black Bear is just a colour of a Syrian... Regarding the temperament, it's just luck of the draw. I have 2 'natural' male RWWs from the same litter. Temperamenally, they are as different as cheese from chalk.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieV
It is common knowledge that a sryian hamster will seriously harm or kill ANY other animal it comes into contact with. I'm very surprised you would house them together in such a way that the syrian has access to the gerbil, and I don't know why you would be surprised at all that it would hurt the gerbil.

I had just recently bought this hamster-I thought he did NOT have access to my gerbil I had a tall, thick plexi-glass separator and somehow he climbed over or something. It was not intended to happen. I would never harm another animal purposely. I did not realize the hamster was so aggressive toward other types of animals. I have learned and am still learning a lot about them. I have separated them in two completely different cages now. I take good care of my animals its not like I meant for that to happen or even was careless about it.

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

is your gerbil still alive, is his eye lost? did you take him to the vet?? Did you get both pets at a pet store?...

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 04:08 PM

Thumbs up

Yes my gerbil is still alive. She is healing nicely, I have not taken her to the vet yet because she has been eating fine and her eye is much better than it was. But if she does get worse I will take her. I did get both at pet stores, and they are separated in two totally different cages so there is no chance that will happen again.

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

does the bitten eye still function...i really hope shes ok...

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Newborn Pup

Cool ...

I owned 2 black bear hamsters and 1 differnt one ( I was little and i can't remember lol).
So I found both black bear hamsters did not bite at all, the one differn't one bite once, so yeh.
I think everyone else is right it is just they look differnet.
If you like them, then get them, they seem really nice to me

I have one hamster right now

His name is Midnight, he is over a year and a half old!
He is doing great, and loves to play!
If you need any help, then just ask!

post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I think syrians are calmer. *Male* syrians, to be exact. I currently have a female and she is SO hyper I can barely hold her.
You have no clue how true that is! I have a female pandabear hammie and she is THE hyper =P But back to the topic. I don't really see how colour makes a difference, but my friend owns blackbear hammies and claims they are tamer. But I think that's cause she owns only males.. yea so don't get a female if you're planning on letting the children hold it.
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Hamsters sleep during the day and need interaction at night. How does having a hamster in the classroom do anything since it's trying to sleep during the day?
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 10:28 PM

^ good point, never thought about that. I know! you can get a guinea pig (similiar just larger and awake during the day)
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Nan: Surely, you don't need Forum's help in trying to convince your hubby that you or the kids need something? Us, hubbies, are NOT that dumb... we see through these ploys, but often choose to ignore them, or just give in, to keep peace...As to Teddy Bears, just another colour and a clever marketing tool...
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Wink

I have a black bear hamster and he is the nicest hamster I've ever had. Like, the only time he ever bit me in the 2 years that I've had him is when I picked him up out of the cage in petland to give to the staff woman. So, I picked him up and gave him to her and when I was pulling my hand away, HE BIT ME! but it didn't really hurt. He hasn't bitten me since. he is incredably gentle. But he is a little escape artist. He's gotten our of him habitrail cage like 3 times. I has to tape certain parts of it down because he figures out how to spin the little plug that covers up one of the holes, so that's how he's been getting out. But everyone should have a black bear hamster, they are the best hamsters you'll ever own!

bryce x0x0
Closed Thread

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, black bear hamsters, black bears, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, guinea pig, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters, teddy bear