Trying to get my 2 gerbils to like me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Red face Trying to get my 2 gerbils to like me

This is his girlfriend.
I got the gerbils on Valentines day and they still wont come to me or near me really...
I starated giving them some treats & sunflower seeds by hand and they take them. I'm not sure if this is helping them get used to me or mommy making them fatter!
I want them to like me and recognize me like my hamster used too!

Anyone have tips on how to make these 2 nuckleheads get used to me??
Thanks <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

We've had gerbils and hamsters for years. My experience is hamsters are tame and friendly to people because they are solitary animals so you are their only source of relationship. Gerbils on the other hand stay in groups of 2 or more and so they don't need your companionship as much. Our gerbils never allowed us to handle them much at all. We had them for 4 years. One passed and within 2 months so did the other one
Now I'm not saying that your gerbils won't ever get used to being handled but they are definately not as accepting of human companionship as hampsters are. good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:07 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Not really sure what date valentines are, but my guess is you need to give them time.
The trick with putting treats in your hands, and putting your hands into the cage, and letting the animals crawl on you, works with a lot of critters, so you might want to try that out.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Not really sure what date valentines are, but my guess is you need to give them time.
The trick with putting treats in your hands, and putting your hands into the cage, and letting the animals crawl on you, works with a lot of critters, so you might want to try that out.
Valentines day is celebrated on the 14th February