ugh!!!! Chewing chewing always chewing!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Talking ugh!!!! Chewing chewing always chewing!!

Pebbles Is a syrian I've had her about 5 months she always chews her cage!!!! I put her in her ball sometimes for an hour let her drink and put her back in the ball for another hour "she loves that thing its glow in the dark cool @ night w/ a black light!!! " then she still chews on her cage!! Ive tried tooth paste, bitter apple i havent used where do I get that ?? I ve tried new toys she hate dog biscuts and those wooden chews lil miss wants nothng to do with it, but i did buy her a honey wooden house thig shes been chewin on that but still cage chews!!!!! HHHHHHHELLLPPPPPPP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

have you tried bathroom tissue rolls? my aunt used to give her gerbils one a day to keep them from chewing there cage.. if that doesnt work, maybe you should consider switching her to a tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Well hamsters have to chew.I'm glad you know that though.I was on another forum a couple years ago & someone refused to give their hamster anything to chew because the sound got on her nerves.
Chewing cage bars isn't good though.Maybe you could consider switching to a tank? [Make sure there's good ventilation ].

Try the tissue roll idea though! My rats LOVE that! I had one rat [Tenshi] who was a avid chewer.I started giving her empty rolls & the problem disappeared !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Will It Ever Change?

the chewing must go on! i know when it's on the bars it's suuuuper annoying, but you have to know it's what you get for owning a rodent. the tp tubes are a great idea, also paper towel tubes, any empty cereal box, anything cardboard really, bend it into fun shapes like huts or ramps. beware its' now chewing out of boredom too.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would try "puzzle" type toys that contain hidden or hard-to-get treats such as the Kaytee shred-a-bowls, shred-a-boxes, Wacky Wabbit alfalfa cups, the Nut Knot Nibbler, etc. Hide treats around the cage and provide things to climb such as brances. Also, when you let her out don't just let her out in her ball. Give her new places to explore such as a large box with toys or the bathtub.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 11:10 PM
RAT ADDICT

Chewing,as everyone said is important...however chewing the bars usually means they want your attention or they do if out of boredom.

I agree with Stephanie,when you take her out...let her explore some other areas,out of the ball.Set your bed up with "blanket caves" and let her explore them,my rats LOVE this.Try little games and new things with her.Try new toys as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

I bought her alfalfa blocks and gave her one of those rip apart mushroom houses shes happy ctill chewing ugh shes driving me nuts lol i think Im going to buy an extra add on cageand see what she dose
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Will It Ever Change?

ooh link 2 cages with a tube! my hammy looooves it, she hasn't chewed bars once yet

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 07:26 PM

YOU CAN GiVE HER TOiLET PAPER ROLLS.
OR LiKE i DiD PUT HER iN AN AQUARiUM. :]
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

another thing you can do is when you feed her, sprinkle the food around her cage, instead of putting it in a dish, that way shes gotta wonder around and find it

My Furry Family
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I got two cagaes!!! one pink one its sooooooo awesome Ill post pics later thnks guys shes still chewing what a silly girl !!!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Title Thief Victim

ohh def want to see pics! lol

Carissasaurus Rex

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

one of the rats always chews her cage too, im going to try and build a bigger cage for them hopefully that will stop

she only chews for attention and shes starting to teach my other rat to do it now too.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My 2 male RWWs have a Rotastak (UK) main cage and an ordinary wire cage as a playpen. I tranfer them here when they come up for a breather about noon. They stay there in a straw house until about 9. Then, they climb all over and chew on the bars.. But they tire of that and move on. I think that you should not let your hammie run for 1 hour at a time. It is suggested that it should half of that at a time.. couple times day..
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

i moved mine to a tank when i had some they annoyed me before so much i put them outside mybedroom door so my bestfriend is allergic so thats were they stayed

love ya all on Paw talk

Proud Mommy To

Dog Jewels Chihuahua JackRussel Mix 1 Year Old <3

Kitten Precious Jade
<3 Almost Three Weeks Old

Was A Mommy To
Cat Freckles Rip

Kitten Lucky Ran Away

Cat CQ Rip

Cat Carmel Rip Road Kill

Cat Doger Rip

Dog Bell Got Old Died

Puppy Daughter Of Bell Stormy Died Got Into Poisen

Puppy Sky Daughter Of Bell Died Got Sufficated Under Wood

Hamster Sunny Died To hot Outside Killed it

Hamster Chloe Died Horriable Nightstand Incident