Unexpected litter of baby gerbils - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Unexpected litter of baby gerbils

Hi I am new here my name is Ashley and ive been breeding gerbils for about 2 years now. I have had 4 beautiful litters. I am at a loss this morning and hope you can help me! I have 8 gerbils( had 9 but ill explain that in a minute). I have a mottled Black gerbil named Moo(female) and a black male gerbil named Smudge. I introduced them back in February in hopes they would have babies. It now being July and they had, had no babies i was content to just let them either live out their lives together baby-less (although still hoping that maybe they were just taking their time making babies). I have another pair (edward an agouti and Bella a lilac) who just had 8 beautiful babies on July 13 and who are doing excellent with their first litter. This morning i went to feed Moo and Smudge and Moo ran over to the dish i noticed she had babies in her nest and Smudge was no where to be found. I looked in the hut and there he was covered in blood and very much dead. In the nest there were only three very tiny babies but one was also dead. I have never had such a small litter before. The two that are alive do seem to have white bellies like she is feeding them but i have read that there chances of survival arent the best. Any opinions on that? OR any advice on what i can do? If you need any other info let me know and thanks for any and all replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry, I don't know how to help. I have never had baby gerbils, but hopefully somebody will stop by to give you some advice. Welcome to the forum.

Tags
small litter of gerbils