Unknown Illness! Please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Unknown Illness! Please help!

My hamster has been bleeding from his bottom area for about 2 days now. Yesterday I went and checked on him and the blood was gone so I thought everything was ok. Then today when I went to check on him there was blood there again. His poop has been solid so I do not think that it is wet tail. He has also been drinking and eating normally. I have no clue what could be wrong with him. Please help! thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

it sounds like a tract infection i would definetly bring him to the vet bleeding from the behind is not normal

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Playful Pup

Blood from the urinary tract - This could mean an urinary tract infection(UTI). Consult a vet and obtain a hamster-safe antibiotic such as Baytril or Albon. Note that if bleeding occurs again after the course of antibiotics, it could mean that there is an internal cyst in one of the hamster's internal organs. Consult a vet again to have the hamster examined.

Blood from the hamster's anus - This could be a result of feeding too much wet food such as fruits or vegetables. Cut down on those foods. If after a week you see no improvement, make an appointment with a hamster-experienced vet as this continued bleeding could point to something more serious such as a tumor in the intestinal tract.

If your Hamster is Female is could be Pyometra.

Pyometra

Symptoms: Pyometra is an infection of the womb and thus only affects females. A pyometra can be 'open' when the hamster will show a discharge which can be yellowy or blood stained and sometimes foul smelling, or 'closed' where there is no discharge. In both cases the abdomen is swollen and the tummy feels hard and tense as there is pus inside the womb. It can be difficult to detect in the early stages as hamsters often appear quite normal until it is quite advanced. They often drink more and appear lethargic as the toxins invade the bloodstream. Appetite is lost also and weight loss occurs.

Causes: Pyometra is caused by bacteria entering the womb and usually there is no cause identified though it can be from a respiratory or urinary infection or following birth, if all the pups and placenta have not been delivered successfully.

Treatment: Antibiotic treatment will only bring about a temporary remission of this disease. Most vets will prescribe Baytril but unless the infection is low vaginal it always returns and the hamster will invariably die unless surgery is performed.

The only cure is to spay the hamster by removing the womb and ovaries surgically. This, in itself, is risky however it is the only option for a cure in a young, otherwise healthy animal. Baytril can be useful in reducing the infection prior to operating and also post operative. With careful nursing the hamster is usually up and about within a few hours post operation. It is important to keep the hamster feeding after the op and painkillers should be given for the first few days. The operation can be quite expensive in some areas and it is important to find a good rodent experienced vet to operate.

References:
Hamsterlopaedia – Peter & Chris Logsdail & Kate Hovers
Hamsters in Sickness and in Health – Sheila Adby & Dan O' Neill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bleeding, hamster, illness, wet tail