Urgent-help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Urgent-help

MY HAMSTER IS LOOSING HAIR FAST. he is 3 months and very nervous, Its been happening for a while, but getting worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I did a quick google search on this because I don't know myself. What are you feeding him and what kind of bedding are you using? Is the hair loss all over or just an area?

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Playful Pup

is it a syrian or a dwarf and is it in the cage with any other hamsters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you're that worried and it's been going on for three months go to a vet. My guesses are allergies, bedding, or mites. But a vet would know for sure.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

its a dwarf and we've had him for 1 and a half months (hes only 3 months old) we use care fresh bedding (with baking soda) and we dust the bottom of the cage with baking soda every time we put new bedding in.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've never heard of using baking soda in the cage--doesn't mean it's wrong, I don't know- I've just never heard of it!! It's possible he's allergic to the CareFresh--I had to switch to Aspen shavings and they love it!! Don't ever ever use pine or cedar, as they are very hard on them because of the oils. Very possible it's mites/fleas. What do you feed him?

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

The baking soda is actually fine, I do that too. It keeps the stink down if you put some on the bottom and then cover with the bedding.

Like Luvpets said they can get allergies, so if you are very concerned you could try a small bag of aspen or Yesterday's News, to see if it helps. If nothing helps, you should probably take him to an exotic vet [small animal vet].

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok I checked and they eat vita vites from petco. I also have another hamster living with it. Could that be a problem?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

It this the stuff? It seems like okay food to me. It depends, it could be the friend if it is sores, but do you ever catch them fighting? I don't think it is that, it is probably an allergy or mites.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Dwarf hams usually do well together-unless they just don't like each other!! But if you haven't seen them fighting, it's probably not the problem. The food seems fine to me--do you give them any fresh supplements? If you need a safe/unsafe list, I can PM it to ya. Try what Crwoodyspets said about trying a small amount of different bedding and see if it clears up. If not, you'll need to check with a vet!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

could it be allergic to baking soda?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Playful Pup

just an idea it sounds like mites i have two rats at my store that somebody dropped off after closing outside both have mites and their hair is falling off rapidly of course i know rats arent the same as dwarf hamsters but mites do the same thing to all animals depending on his color you should be able to she the mites they are black dots moving in the fur if he has them you are going to have to spray him the hamsters with a mite repellent i think i saw a "recipe" for one so dont go out and spend 15 bucks on a small bottle all it is is 1 pint of room temp water 1 tbsp of witch hazel and 1 tbsp of non flavored listerine that gets sprayed on the hamsters the toys the cages soak it all (cept hamsters) in some boiling water then spray again but this time keep it on then put the hamsters back in the cage with new bedding new food new water this recipe is harmless the the hamsters also if they both live together and there has been no fighting that resulted in blood shed they are ok together dwarf hamsters are sociable unlike syrians who will fight to the death sorry this is so long but another thing that it could be is diabetes i know it sounds weird but russian dwarf are born with something that makes it run crazy in the breed i have had a total of 5 russian dwarfs and all have been diabetic its an easy test if they drink alot and eat alot and pee alot they are most likely that way go to cvs or rite aid or walgreens and ask the pharmasist for keto-daisticks it is a test strip that uses urine to test the amount of glucose in the pee just put the hamster in a clean tupperware bowl of sorts and wait for it to pee put the stick on the pee and follow instructions for timing my hamsters had a problem with not losing hair but it got really very thin let me know if you test and its positive if it is sugar is DEADLY!!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

the only reason I don't think it's mites is because only the younger hamster is loosing hair
not the older one
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hmmm. I'd go with an allergy then. Try switching the bedding and see if it helps.

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Playful Pup

thats fine to think its an allergy however an allergy really wont make the hair fall out since the youner one isnt having the problem i would have to say since one is sick and not the other seperate them wether its catchy or not you dont know and then take to a vet first things first change the bedding stop with the baking powder it could be the problem i use the arm and hammer powder for kitty litter boxes and mine have no problems i really think that is only one is having the problem then it must be the individual hamster something internal

Tags
urgent