Weird Hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Weird Hamster

I adopted a black male syrian hamster (6-8 weeks old) last weekend, I've had many hamsters in the past and this one is just weird. Or sick.. or something.

I put him in his cage, he does not make his own bed/nest, he just sleeps wherever, so I got him a plastic house and made him a bed.. he sleeps in it.. and NEVER comes out. Not only that, he pees everywhere, even on himself, he pees in that little house and sleeps in it.... he's all wet... and he smells.

He's quite tame though, he allows you to pet him, poke him, whatever, even hand feed him.

What is wrong with him? I've never seen this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:16 PM

I know dwarves get diabetes and kidney problems, but I am not sure if Syrians can have those problems. Hopefully he is just nervous and that is his way of showing it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayacakes
Not only that, he pees everywhere, even on himself, he pees in that little house and sleeps in it.... he's all wet... and he smells.

I bolded the part that worries me. I have hamsters that pee all over. I even had some that insisted on peeing in their wheel. The only ones I have ever known to pee in their bed to the point where they themselves end up sopping were those who were sick.

Not making a nest of sorts is nothing to worry about. I've had plenty of hamsters who preferred to just curl up in a ball or even lay flatened as much as possible to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster
I bolded the part that worries me. I have hamsters that pee all over. I even had some that insisted on peeing in their wheel. The only ones I have ever known to pee in their bed to the point where they themselves end up sopping were those who were sick.

Not making a nest of sorts is nothing to worry about. I've had plenty of hamsters who preferred to just curl up in a ball or even lay flatened as much as possible to sleep.
I agree. That worries me as well.

It sounds like he needs a trip to the vet .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My hamster pooed in her bed but always peed in a certain corner. I'd take him to the vets too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Call the vet and see what they have to say. Maybe it's something you can take care of at home to save you a vet visit.

*Missy*
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I'll give the vet a call. I hope they can do something.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

He seems to be okay.. apparently he was just very stressed out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well that's good news, I hope he'll be OK now!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 AM

I bought my dwarf hamster a litter box but she has already decided where to pee in her cage. Right next to her food bowl. I have no idea why. It is the only place in the cage she will pee. RIGHT next to her FOOD and then she justs sits in it while she eats. I have to constantly wash the surface off because I don't want the urine to mess up her food. As for the litter box, she likes to roll around in it and dig out all the litter.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:43 PM

I once got a new hammy with loose stools, but it wasn't the typically severe diarrhea of Wet Tail. Maybe it was stress; maybe not, but she got some over the counter Dri Tail medication anyway. She was and is fine.

Tags
dwarf hamster, food bowl, litter box, syrian hamster, vet visit, wet tail