well im a grandma!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

well im a grandma!!!!!

yup im a grandma. alvin had her babies sometime last night. i cant tell how many she had i can see one right now cause she is laying on her side feeding em. and to those of you who are going to tell me not to touch them IM NOT GOING TO!!!!!!!!!!! sorry people keep saying that and i already know that. i've had a litter before. lol alvin looks kinda big still mmm wonder if its baby fat lol. she's in her house so its hard to see so it can be desiving and she could be skinny lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Congrats on the pups! My dwarf knows me so well that when the pups are a day old, she allows me to pick them up (not advising anyone to do it though). Right now the runt of the litter is sooooooo small, that a few times a day I take out the mom & pup and leave them alone with each other so that the pup can be nurse well. There is such a BIG difference in size with the runt and the rest of the litter (there are 5 in this litter).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM

my hamster just had babies on june 12th, i only have 1 left is there any advice on how to make sure it stays alive, since you guys have had hamster babies before and this was my first time. any advice would be greatly appericated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:53 AM

Is your hamster eating the babies? The mother may be too young, young mothers tend to eat their babies. Or maybe you look at them too often. I mean, sometimes the mother prefers solitude when she has babies. If I were you, I would just go in her cage to feed her and give her water. Try your best not to disturb her. Leave her be and check on her and the remaining baby every 3-4 days. I think the mother may just feel nervous. Once the baby is about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks old, she has more of a chance of surviving. My new batch of babies just turned 11 days old and they are starting to get out of their nest box and search for food. Good luck and I hope the baby lives. They are so cute to hold and play with as they get older.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

aww my gerbil is ready to have her babies soon, can anyone give me some last advice before they arrive?

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:05 AM

I'm not sure if she ate them or if they died and then she ate them, because I know that your suppose to just leaver her alone which is what i've been doing i only go in the room to change the food and water. I'm not sure how young is too young, i got her when she was 19 days old,( the 19th of april) and its now june.19th. when can i finally clean the cage? around 2 wks? and at that point is it safe to touch the baby?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:16 AM
the rodent lover<3

From my knowledge (unofficial speaking, here!), it's safe to touch them once they open their eyes and start growing fur. I'm not very sure though! Congrats on the new babies! Take pictures to share! I'm really anxious to see

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Congrats on the babies!!

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:06 AM

To be on a safer side, she shouldn't have had any babies until at least 3 months old. This would have given her time to finish growing and maturing. Anyhow, wait till the baby is eating on its own and not nursing so much...about 2 1/2 wks old. This way, if the mother decides not to nurse the baby anymore, it will have more of a chance to survive. I usually separate my babies from the mother at about 3 wks, she starts to attack them at this age if they try to nurse. It's happened to 2 different batches of babies already.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM

thanks guys the baby is doing really well, I'm naming it lucky (since it was lucky to be the only one left) however that being said, lucky is wandering around now not just staying in one place, even making his/her way over to the food bowl! the eyes aren't yet open but the cage needs cleaned.... is it safe to clean it or no? the baby will be 2 wks old this week, was born on the 12th.

Tags
dwarf hamster