Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

wet tail

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  sweethammies 
#1 ·
so guys i do believe that Q-Tip my very first russian dwarf is sick and i think its wet tail i noticed the diareaha yesterday afternoon since his fur was all matted down with it and then i found out the symptoms and relized his extreme weight loss was related his nickname is chunkers but all of a sudden in less then a week he lost so much weight he looks like a 2 month old russian not 2 years i got some drops from work but noticed he doesnt drink so it really wont help i have an appointment on monday for him but until then is there anything i should do? he barely moves to the point were i have to touch him to make sure he is still alive he was the most active one i had and now he sleeps all day and all night there was no change in anything i read that it is brought on by stress i cant even imagine what it could be any advice would be great i would miss him too too much if anything goes for the worse

#4 ·
I've had hamsters ever since I can remember - generally the ONLY time the Dri Tail medication will help is if you catch the Wet Tail Symptoms early on. I had one hamster recently, who had 6 bouts of Wet Tail, but I caught the symptoms early on enough, administered the Dri Tail medication, and he was fine afterwards.

Generally..if hamsters have had Wet Tail for too long, the Dri Tail medicine won't give them enough time to kill off the disease. You're...going to have to make your hamster as comfortable as possible :/ Wet Tail is a horrible killing disease; as near as I can figure it wipes out their immune system and immobilizes them because hamsters don't have the energy to do anything else. You can try taking her to the vet....

Wet Tail occurs for three different reasons: it can be brought on by stress, hamsters can be born simply prone to it, and another plausible cause is it caught it from another hamster at the pet store. The medicine for Wet Tail, Dri Tail, can be used as a preventative measure to prevent hamsters from getting Wet Tail, it doesn't harm them.

Get the Dri Tail medicine, it's available at most pet stores(I know PetSmart has it), and administer it to her.

Well wishes...

#5 ·
Actually no do not get the Dri Tail! It has been recalled and known to make the wet tail worse. I gave you more information on your profile...but any specific questions just ask.

And yes the weight loss is a big sign, because they do not want to eat when they are feeling sick. Does Q-tip have a friend? If so separate them because it is very contagious. Mainly keep him hydrated using a syringe and do not slow on the treatment. Even if he seems to be getting better, keep him hydrated. They can start to get better but if they are not fully better than they will easily get worse.

#6 ·
thank you all so much the meds im giving him is not dri tail its something from oasis called wettail remedy all my hamsters have their own cage but i notice one of my syrians today had daireaha in his cages but its looks kind of mucos like or maybe throw up can i give the meds even though they dont have wet tail to stop them from getting it i have 6 hamsters and they are all in the same small room is it catchy?

#7 ·
Also, please, please go to the vet and get antibiotics. Over the counter stuff is NOT enough, and often only masks the symptoms temporarily. I have no idea why so many people on this board just refuse to go to the vet with their hamsters. Wet Tail is a bacterial infection that can be cleared with antibiotics and palliative care. I've had dozens of hamsters come down with this in the rescue, and we've never lost one.

#9 ·
update

Also, please, please go to the vet
first off if you had read in the original post i did take him to the vet

second for all of you Q-Tip does have wet tail according to the vet he gave meds and already the little guy is drinking and eating like before i know he is not 100% healthy but he is on the meds for 1 week and i can give less of it to the others for 3 days to clear up any problems or to stop it all together thank you all for your help and concern
much love
tabbi

#8 ·
I am not sure, but if your other hamster caught it then the others could possibly catch it too. It is VERY contagious!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.