Wet Tail Prevention plz help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wet Tail Prevention plz help

So i got a hamster and she ended up getting wet tail and we didnt get her medicated in time.....
I am going to be picking up another one cause the place i got her from does the warranty thing. but im a little confused as to how to prevent this from happening again.
I thought it was about eliminating stress so i left her alone for a few days before starting to handle her and i only handled her in the eve when she was awake or when i was going in or coming home shift in the dead of night when she was awake.
I tried asking them and they were no help.... Can you help me make sure my next hamster lives?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What kind of cage do you have for it? I had a hamster that kept getting wet tail because I was keeping him in a mainly wire cage with a plastic bottom, and apparently it felt too insecure and kept getting wet tail. Once I moved him into an entire glass aquarium the bouts of wet tail stopped. Bin cages, glass aquariums, and the Habitrail Ovo would probably be the cages that make them feel the most secure. Really though, developing wet tail is one part stress, one part susceptibility. Some hamsters are just prone to it regardless of what you do. I had another hamster that had like 6 bouts of it throughout his entire life, which I consistently treated him with DriTail at the first signs, but what he did eventually die from was old age.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 10-07-2011 at 04:42 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have her in a 10gallon aquarium now. I was gunna get an aquarium topper to give her more levels and space 2 play in. and the lady at the store said it was uncommon for the type of hamster i had (fancy Hamster) to get wet tail. The new one looks good. so i'll just take it easy with her and hope all goes well

Pet's name:
Baby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Betta Bomb

what kind of "fancy" hamster do you have? I would always take what pet store employees tell you with a grain of salt.. Sometimes they don't know, make it up, are ignorant and say what they're supposed to, or go on old legendary methods.True wet tail is more common in syrian hamsters but all types can have diarrhea (which is commonly taken for wet tail)

Wet tail can be caused by a couple of things. The only one mentioned was cage type. Wet and cold foods should always be avoided. Drain off excess water, or squeeze them in paper towel and only serve them at room temperature.

Drafty areas are the cause of some discomfort and diarrhea. Keep the cage in a quiet room away from drafts.

Clean out any perspiration on the glass every night. Try not to upset his bed too bad bc they don't like it

Other than that, good luck. I hope to see pics!! I love the lil' guys
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Im not sure. all the cage said was "Fancy hamster" when my camera charges ill take a photo for u guys and upload it. the new one is so cute!

I feed dry food so i dont have to worry about the wet food problem and she is in our office so its usually pretty quiet cause when we are in there we are working

Pet's name:
Baby

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Zoo Keeper

Over the counter wet tail meds dont work and only syrians under 12 weeks can get wet tail ... What kills with Diarhea is dehydration

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

OK so i have another question: she seems to be doing fine. her bum looks ok and all. i been trying to leave her be while she is adjusting to her new cage but she spends all her time in her little house. and i mean all her time. the 1st night i put her in there was the only time i saw her out and about. and im up at night when she should be so i know its not just cause thats when she is sleepin. and she doesn't come out during the day when mum is home. I can see her moving around in there the hut is semi seethru but she never comes out exsept to get food and water..... any ideas?

Pet's name:
Baby

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok maybe im being paranoid but the underside of her bum around her tail does look mildly damp but i can't tell if its normal or if its wet tail.... ugh... im so nervous about this now that i had one hamster die of it.

Pet's name:
Baby

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Zoo Keeper

Its probably just getting wet from urine. As for being shy that is perfectly normal my boy Kodi I have had for 10 months and he comes out when I am sleeping. Also since you are awake the lights will be on making them think its still day I know several peoples hams who wont wake up until after they turn the lights off and go to sleep

Proud Mommy to-

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok so i picked her up and was holding her to put her in her ball when she tipped over on me and i wasn't sure if what i saw was ok but she was staying still so i took a pic to show u guys

is this normal? she does have a lil bedding attached 2 her and u can only see this if she is upside down. if she is upright u can't tell. and from pics i saw online you can tell wet tail cause it is visible from behind not just under...

Pet's name:
Baby

Last edited by winterose; 10-10-2011 at 07:47 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Betta Bomb

o-e That is not good.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yea thats what i thought and i was so paranoid that i brought her back to the store cause the vet care is free there for the 1st 15 days under their warranty thing so they have her now and are treating her and are giving me updates. hopefully she makes it!

Pet's name:
Baby

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Zoo Keeper

That looks like diarrhea she needs fluids and fiber. Sorry didnt see the pic since the original post was from my phone.

Proud Mommy to-

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Its alright, i brought her to the vet cause i was conserned and they lost her durring the night. im gunna get another one but seeing as this is the 2nd bad hamster from this one store im gunna get a refund and try again somwhere else. its a 45 min drive to this place and its costing me more in gas than anything and they have proved twice they are not a good place to buy from maybe the 3rd times a charm somewhere else. anyone have recomendationss

Pet's name:
Baby

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Zoo Keeper

Try rescuing from an unwanted litter its the best way to go its how I got my cat and all 3 hams

Proud Mommy to-

Tags
hamster, sick, wet tail