What is the best hamster breed? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

What is the best hamster breed?

What is the best breed of hamster? i want to know because i am getting new hamsters. i want hamsters that i can hold and cuddling with. but they cant cost alot. please help. thanks Dee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sally 16 year old Balck lab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chewy 6 year old Samoyed mix

Cassie 6 year old Britney spanial

Choctaw 3 year old Chocolate lab

Coke 5 year old Degu

Pepsi 5 year old Degu

Bubba 5 year old Dutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I personally like Syrian's better than dwarf because they are a bit bigger and even though all hamsters are known for biting and nipping, dwarfs in my experience are worse about it. Why not go with a pair of rats?

You sure have a lot of pets...

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have never had dwarf hamsters...so I have no real opinion on them.I do hear they are not as friendly and tamable as Syrians.
But any hamster can bite and not be friendly.For a friendly hamster,I would go with a Syrian.These guys are not social though and must be kept alone.But with taming,they should be friendly little guys.My last ham was a Syrian and he was very friendly and never bit anyone.

Rats are better then hamsters in my opinion though...friendlier,smarter,more social and their schedules adapt to yours...unlike the hamster which is a nocturnal animal and doesn't want to be bothered in the day.Rats are also less likely to bite then hams.

But yeah,regarding hams...I personally would choose the Syrian.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
yep i do i had four other hamsters. but in three months they all died (My dwarf and Teddy bear died thursday & friday)

Coke 5 year old Degu

Pepsi 5 year old Degu

Bubba 5 year old Dutch
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
I personally like Syrian's better than dwarf because they are a bit bigger and even though all hamsters are known for biting and nipping, dwarfs in my experience are worse about it. Why not go with a pair of rats?

I definitly agree. I would definitly get a Syrian over a dwarf, just my opinion. Good luck!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Syrian. My Syrians never bit me once. I would put their heads in my mouth, push my face right up against their's, and they never bit.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Syrian. My Syrians never bit me once. I would put their heads in my mouth, push my face right up against their's, and they never bit.
Just don't bite your syrians!!! LOL
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Lol. Never did. There was one time I stuck my nose against the bars to my hamster, Zodi's, cage, and he bit my nose and tried to pull it inside his cage, lol... It was the day before an interview, too! But that was completely my fault.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Syrians are usually easier to handle . That being said, one of my sweetest hamsters was a Russian dwarf. It definitely depends on the individual hamster.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

UPDATE we got a Teddy Bear Hamster cause none of the pet stores had syrians her name is snuggle and we think she is pregnant

Coke 5 year old Degu

Pepsi 5 year old Degu

Bubba 5 year old Dutch
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Teddy Bears are technically Syrians. They used to be called either Teddy Bears, or Goldens, but then I think they switched to just calling them Syrians instead because that's where hamsters originate - Syria. Anyone can feel free to correct me, but when I started the hamster business years ago, they were plainly called teddies.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 11-29-2009 at 06:52 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 AM
RAT ADDICT

A "teddy bear" is a Syrian.
So is a "black bear","panda bear" and whatever other names they give them.They are Syrians with "cutesy" names to sell them better/faster.

I would love to see pictures of your new addition though.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i will go get some pics of her

Coke 5 year old Degu

Pepsi 5 year old Degu

Bubba 5 year old Dutch
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Lol. Never did. There was one time I stuck my nose against the bars to my hamster, Zodi's, cage, and he bit my nose and tried to pull it inside his cage, lol... It was the day before an interview, too! But that was completely my fault.
LOL!!! That must have been a really embarassing interview!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

lol Surprisingly, no. A friend covered it as best as possible with some makeup. It didn't totally disguise it, it was still evident that it was there. But no one said anything, sooo....

Tags
hamster