What sort of home do your gerbils have? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Question

I was just wondering what set-up everyone has for their gerbils. At the moment my two girls are in an aquarium and I put all my junk mail, boxes and loo roll tubes in there. They chew up everything and when the aquarium starts to get full they can tunnel through the chewed up paper. The water bottle sticks through a hole in the lid (I experimented a long time ago with suspending the bottle in the tank but it was destroyed!) and I just sprinkle their food in so that they can dig around and find it. I find that food dishes get buried and then I forget about them and throw them away while cleaning the tank. Other people when seeing my gerbil tank have been shocked that they are in a cage stuffed full with paper, but the gerbs seem to be very happy like that!

We have also had cages with bars, but I didn't like them so much because bedding was pushed out and the gerbils often ended up with bald noses from chewing on the bars! We did have one though who was happier in a cage and used to beg for treats through the bars.

I would be interested to hear what other people do. Does anyone have a tank with earth or sand in it? This is something I would like to try but as yet never have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Your gerbil set up sounds really cute Becs.

My Dora lives in a 30 gallon tank, she has a wheel big enough for a Chincilla that is wired mesh. She has a nesting box which allows her to reach her water bottle, she has a Chinchilla bathing house that is the shape of a Chinchilla (it is purple), I just put bedding in it and she use to use it for her bathroom area, but I don't think she does now. I know this is really big for one gerbil, but her mother and 2 sisters use to live w/her, and I hate to put her in a smaller tank, this is her home and what she is use to.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:22 PM

My Set Ups

I have 11 or so tanks, 10G would be the smallest, and 50G would be the largest.

Most of my tanks have a food dish, wooden house and/or large hard cardboard tube, a glass jar, water bottle, mesh wheel, and tons of cardboard You can't see the bedding I use b/c it's mostly cardboard peices after a couple of days.

Some examples....

The dollar store is my favorite place to buy gerbil toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 06:02 PM

Mine change constantly... but I have general examples of my setups here: http://www.geocities.com/padfoot_82/rodentsetups.htm
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM

right now I have cages, I am going to convert all to tanks though. I have 7 cages now and it is a job to clean them all, and the nose thing too. I was worried about the wheels though and looking at your tanks padfoot I have now figured out what to do. I want to get 20 gallons tanks too I have several cages with 3 gerbils in them 3 actually. That way I can go down to just 3 tanks and I won't have so much to do then. I have mine with lots of paper and cardboard and it is pretty thick now, and they are making tunnels, but when I have to clean them it is all messed up again and they have to start all over again. How often do you really have to clean out the tanks or cages?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

I seem to be the only one that uses a bar cage! I have my gerbil in a small rat cage...the only bad thing about it is Ember kicks the bedding out, making a huge mess! She rarely chews the bars, only when she wants my sttention or something.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

AndreaS15 your gerbils are gorgeous!

We has the same problem with the bedding getting kicked out, but we solved it to some extent by putting the cage inside a bigger cardboard box, cut down so that it was just a bit higher than the cage base (like a garden!) It contained most of the mess (although enthusiastic digging still managed to get bits on the floor) and Capulet enjoyed climbing out the top of the cage and running around in the garden (under supervision of course).

I might get Toffee and Fudge a wheel if I can work out how to fix it in their cage...I saw one I liked the other day but it was free-standing and I would be afraid of it falling on the gerbils.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats a good idea Becs! I should try that! Since I use a bar cage and always have the problem of kicked out bedding, that seems like an interesting idea!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 PM

I have a critter trail X and it is supposed to be scatterless well it isn't I don't want to put mine in a box though because I always want to see them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 PM

You can easily find many habitat photos RIGHT HERE

Tags
cardboard box, food dishes, rat cage