What is wrong with my hamster? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation What is wrong with my hamster?

My hamster Roley Poley, was bought a little while ago (i think on the 10th of May?) and she is my first hamster so i don't really know what her actions mean (yet!)

she seems to:

-have vaginal bleeding/discharge of some sorts
-have a weird red "bump" on her abdomen near where her reproductive organs should be maybe? maybe they are swollen? they don't look healthy
-(this one is throwing me for a loop) has been nesting in a new location (she has never slept there before, opposite end of the cage. and has buried herself under the pine bedding)
-be hoarding more than usual, i need to fill her bowl often
-she also seems to be a little bigger
-she seems to be less jumpy and actually climbed into my hand with a wash cloth on it even though she HATES being picked up or touched
- twitchy a little bit, she has not been herself today
-she made this weird yawning crying noise twice now

i think she might be pregnant or have an illness of sorts? what should i do to make her more comfortable and happy? I tried to get some of the blood off aka putting a wash cloth on my hand and rubbing her bottom oh so gently. should I try to clean it off or should i leave her alone?

Last edited by Jinxy; 06-07-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

(i don't know if she actually made the noises i think it actually was a bird [thank god])
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I lied again. it was her. i'm scared. (i wish i could just edit it instead of posting new replies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 03:57 PM

The Vet. Go to the Vet as soon as you can, Rodents do not have periods like humans and dogs and cats any sort of vaginal bleeding should be looked at as soon as possible.

If it's not blood but a white discharge she's probably in heat.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenishaS View Post
The Vet. Go to the Vet as soon as you can, Rodents do not have periods like humans and dogs and cats any sort of vaginal bleeding should be looked at as soon as possible.

If it's not blood but a white discharge she's probably in heat.
the only thing is, i can't tell if it is blood or not but it does smell a bit. her genitalia is EXTREMELY swollen and is bright red though.

She also is exhibiting all of the signs of pregnancy too (weird huh?) she seems as if she is going into labor[nesting, etc.], how can i tell? from the time i got her, it would PERFECTLY fit the normal gestation period >.< This came all of the sudden as well which is very confusing

i wish i could go to the vet but there is only one vet in my state that does exotics and it is extremely far away and it is sunday night. I'll call a vet tomorrow.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, you definatly need to get her to a vet!
The bleeding could be a number of things- kidney/bladdder infection, kidney/bladder stones... But I dont know what the bump could be. Maybe she has a tumor?
It really doesnt seem like shes preggo to me.
And you will want to use a different bedding... Pine can be toxic to small animals. Try aspen instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. i think the bedding is mostly aspen i think, just added a little pine. that's why i stopped using cedar a long while ago.

i think the red bump is her female hamster parts all swollen. sadly there are no vets in my area that deals with exotics (more than an hour away) and even then it is a sunday so i have to wait it out. do you know how i could comfort her for the time being?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 AM
I am allergic to maths

Are you completely sure shes female? You said her genitals looked swollen, that actually sound like male parts, they sort of drop them when its warm. GET HER TO THE VET!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 04:51 AM

This may sound weird...but its possible its a miscarriage and her body is trying push out the baby. If its stuck, its possible shes growing infections and bacteria...in any case...blood is never a good sign.

Last edited by bokuza; 06-08-2009 at 04:57 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
Are you completely sure shes female? You said her genitals looked swollen, that actually sound like male parts, they sort of drop them when its warm. GET HER TO THE VET!
That actually sounds like an interesting theory actually >.< i don't think it was blood though, it smells funny he/she/it might just have diarrhea which is kind of weird because he doesn't eat fruits/veggies for a fear of diarrhea. if it is that what should i do?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
This may sound weird...but its possible its a miscarriage and her body is trying push out the baby. If its stuck, its possible shes growing infections and bacteria...in any case...blood is never a good sign.
another interesting theory >.< i don't think it is blood now. I'm just a worrying momma <3
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I am allergic to maths

See a vet, if it doesnt look like blood then it probably isnt, but please take it to a vet to make sure. If it is dihhorea (are there any solid poopies in the cage?) she will need medication like dry tail. Your vet can provide this quite cheaply (compared to other meds), you may also be able to get this from a pet store depending on where you are. Can you get a picture of the 'blood/dihhorea' and this lump?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
See a vet, if it doesnt look like blood then it probably isnt, but please take it to a vet to make sure. If it is dihhorea (are there any solid poopies in the cage?) she will need medication like dry tail. Your vet can provide this quite cheaply (compared to other meds), you may also be able to get this from a pet store depending on where you are. Can you get a picture of the 'blood/dihhorea' and this lump?
I'll try to call a vet that i know to see if they know anything. for the meds, what pet stores is it possible to pick this up at? (there are dry poopies too, but i def. think it is dihhorea now) she is acting funny though. (she isn't running on her wheel or anything, she also is constantly burrying herself in bedding) She seems to be doing better than before -> she is eating/cheek stuffing, drinking, and is less dirty now. so i think she is getting better.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I am allergic to maths

Glad shes getting better, keep us updated! Good luck at the vets! As for the dry tail, where are you? What pet shops are you near? They MAY sell it at petsmart or places like that but I live in the uk so I wouldnt know but im sure there are people here that know
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

*got the meds* hopefully she gets better soon!

Tags
female, hamster, pregnant