What's a good Gerbil Diet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

What's a good Gerbil Diet?

I have a black Gerbil, and her coat seems dull.....what's a good gerbil diet for her, and her coat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

I had a little black gerbil too!

What is her staple diet first of all?

Supplement her diet with veggies and fruit and grains.I even gave mine a couple of crickets (which she LOVED "hunting") or mealworms,for protein.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply!!! Well, right now I'm feeding some petstore stuff. I believe the brand is Hartz...? We also give them dog treats occasionally. We actually have crickets and meal worms for our gecko! i might start giving my girls some. thanks again for the help! anymore is appreciated also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of Pepper, my black Gerbie. See what I mean about a dull coat though? She seems very healthy, and is active. Could she just be a dilute black?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

When you say her coat is dull,I am guessing you mean her color? Because her coat looks nice and shiny and her eyes are nice and bright too...signs of a healthy gerbil!

Definatly try giving her a cricket or mealy!I am sure she will love it.Mine used to love "hunting" the crickets around and it was adorable to watch!

Here is a link that talks about gerbil diet!
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/gerbi...ilsfeeding.htm

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I liked Ecotrition when I had gerbils. I also fed them collard greens

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine
I liked Ecotrition when I had gerbils. I also fed them collard greens
Collard greens are good for many different animals and even for gut loading feeder insects!

* Lisa *

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
. even gave mine a couple of crickets (which she LOVED "hunting") or mealworms,for protein.
that interesting. i know they eat small things in wild.. never thought about it though. may have to try it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone!

Vanilla_Rat, Yes, I mainly mean her color. I'm glad she looks healthy!! The reason I posted this thread was because I was going through a website on Gerbil Colors, and saw a picture of what a black gerbil was supposed to look like, and it was sooo beautiful! But when I look at Pepper, I just don't see that sheen in her coat, as I did in the ones online. This will only be our 1st round with a gerbil (we have another one, but we've only had her for less than a year) so I don't know a whole lot about them. lol. My strong point would be dogs, and I know that often if a dog has a dull coat, it's because of diet. Is this also true with Gerbiies? We're going to Petsmart tonight for meal worms a crickets for the gecko, cause we're out, and I'm going to try giving my girls one of each. Thanks again for all the help!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:58 PM

I change my gerbil mix frequently, depending on whats on sale and such, but this may give you an idea.

Dried Fruits
Raisins, Apple, Cranberries, Blueberry, Coconut, Raspberries, Papaya, Pumpkin, Banana, Pineapple

Dried Veggies
Carrots, peas, Parsley, Alfalfa leaves

Seeds
Oat kernels, Millet (2 types), Pumpkin, Safflower, Sunflower, Rose hips, corn, barley

Nuts
Peanuts, almonds, walnuts

Cereals & Other
Corn flakes, wheat flakes, Barley Flakes, Oat groats, Wheat bran, cornflower, Soya bean meal, Extruded rabbit pellets, Cat food, Alfalfa/Timothy (hay and sometimes cubes)

Extras – Cheese, Applesauce, Cranberry juice, Lettuce (Romaine, or green), Tomato, Carrots, Broccoli, grapes, apple, clover, boiled egg, cucumber, Dog Cookie, spray millet, Cat/Kitten food, Dried corn on the cob, honey bars, Frozen Fruits & veggies (summer treat)

For Packaged feeds I like Ecotrition and I am just trying Gerri Gerbil.
Even with pre-mixes I always add some cat food for extra protine. I used to not have sunflower seeds in my diets, but have added them back b/c my gerbils are so healthy and fit they could use that little extra fat
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Boy, you had such good replies about gerbil diet from Vanilla and Andrea that I don't think there is much left to add!

Pepper does look very healthy and bright eyed though, as Vanilla Rat said. What a cutie pie!

We do pick out the sunflower seeds from our gerbil mix as too many of those can make a gerbil fat and unhealthy very quickly! But we still feed them too many treats, so I am not one to lecture anyone on diet! We are trying to be good and cut down their treats, but boy is it hard.

They do love broccoli but I hate to give them more than just a little smidge of it every so often as it always makes them bloat up...one of those "gassy" foods as you know. But yes, as Vanilla and Andrea both pointed out, a good balanced seed/pellet mix with some controlled amounts of veggies/fruit (small portions or they can get diarreah (spelling?) and just as a side tip...my gerbils LOVE plain cheerios and a bit of banana in the morning. All gerbils are different though..I am sure you will find Pepper has her own individual tastes! She is one cute little gerbie!
Vlad

Tags
cat food, collard greens, dried corn, dried fruit, dried fruits, kitten food, meal worms, rabbit pellets, sunflower seeds, vanilla rat