Whats wrong with my gerbil? :S - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Whats wrong with my gerbil? :S

i had 2 gerbils called Bombay and skitz but now i only have Bombay but recently he has been acting strange, his left back leg doesn't seem to function properly and he goes around in a circle or falls over when he moves. i cleaned him out today and he went crazy, spinning around and rolling over trying his best to get away from me but nt getting very far, i feel so bad for him his head is kinda droopy too, once i had cleaned his cage and he had settled down he made his way over to his food dish and dug around until he found his favourite nut he has managed to figure out that if he keeps his tummy close to the sawdust he can move pretty much in a straight line (very wobbly but gets to were he wants to go) he has been like this for a little while and the vet said it was a stroke but he doesn't seem to be getting better. at first he had his brother skitz with him and he used to hold bombays head up when they were feeding or stand in the centre of their nest area holding up the bedding for bombay to get in easily but then skitz just died he had been fine all day and i went to the bathroom he came to the cage and said his usual hello, around an hour later i decided to go to bed and skitz was stretched out in the centre of the cage, not moving or breathing i was devastated and poor bombay had his nose poked out from under the bedding looking at him ... sorry for droning on but i just don't understand what has happened to them both. bombay is almost 3 now and i know this is around the age they live to but will he be ok? he is still eating and drinking but am i being cruel to let him live like this, would it be kinder for me to take him to the vets and not bring him home? please help i am very worried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I would see a vet for him, just in case. Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM

A vet will be able to tell you if there is something to do to help him feel better or if it would be better to put him down for his health and quality of life. A good vet will never tell you to have an animal put down for convince. A good vet will do all they can before recommending euthanization.

Tags
gerbils