Why are my SAME SEX gerbils mating? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Why are my SAME SEX gerbils mating?

AURGH! Ok, Blackie Pete mounted Racer, Racer ran and looked at him/herself, then was mounted again and then mounted Blackie Pete. Are they playing? Are they mating? What the heck? We got them last April and they were 9 weeks old. Guess it's time to sex them again.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:41 PM

It could be a dominance thing, like in most animals. Animals like dogs or bunnies do this kind of thing to show who's the master.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Ok, I went here http://www.gerbils.co.uk/gerbils/gender.htm and pulled them out and it looks like they're both males... whew! Either way they look the same.. so hopefully no babies! LOL

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:25 PM

how excatly can you tell whether they are male/female
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 PM

I have older females who do this same thing.
Mounting is a normal behaviour, it shows dominance and puts the one gerbils scent on the other by rubbing the scent gland on the belly onto the other gerbil.
As for the checking themselves after mounting, it is kind of strange, but as i said I have a pair of females that do it. And if I was new to gerbils I would have double checked their sexes again LOL... they are very convincing LOL
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
It could be a dominance thing, like in most animals. Animals like dogs or bunnies do this kind of thing to show who's the master.
Our dogs did that all the time...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:09 AM

that is how I got my 6 weeks olds I missed sexing Nemo I thought she was male. I tripled checked my little males before I separated didn't want to make the same mistake. I want to do it again before they get to old and won't be accepted in the female cage. I love the babies I really do but I just don't need anymore right now, the last litter died all of them now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:09 AM

I agree with Andrea. I had a group of 4 females that were more active in the department than some of my mixed-sex pairs! LOL. And my girls did checked themselves after each mount. But, I was 100% sure that they were all girls, and they were together for around a year before 2 of them died, and never had babies.

Males are pretty easy to tell apart once they are adults, and your are already adults. You can even see without having to lift them.