Will my gerbil be ok? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Will my gerbil be ok?

Hi.. I have a gerbil (only 1) and im not sure if he'll be alright. He used to have a female partner but she passed.. due to age. Then I got him 2 new comarades but they somehow fought each other and also killed eachother.. Well one survived, but died some hours later due to injury. I have no idea why they fought.. they were together for like 8 months already.. But this is all backstory. So my male gerbil now lives alone.. cause my parents wouldnt allow me to buy him a new partner. Now hes been alone for about 12-14 months. The moment his partner passed away I thought he'd die aswell in some weeks/months but, he did not. But im still worried, as soon as I put him in the cage all he does is sleep. He does not play anymore.. just sleeps.. I do get him out of the cage everyday for about 2 to 4 hours so he can run around and interact with me, so he wont completely think hes all alone. But on 18 august he fell off the couch.. and somehow broke one of his upper teeth. On 19 august the broken tooth was completely removed, and when I got him out of his nest there was some blood around his eye too. Now I wonder if his tooth will come back.. and also if he wont die because of all this. (being lonely + wounded) he is about 3 years old (dont know exact because i forgot to put him on calandar when bought) But i got pictures of him made in early 2006. Will he be ok in the end? he is pretty old I think. He is the best gerbil I ever had and dont want him to die because of a stupid tooth. *when out of the cage he is playfull and jumping around the couch, he just seems to grab his mouth alot.. and moving his teeth I think because it all doesnt feel in place due to the lost tooth*

thanks

Last edited by force33; 08-19-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I am allergic to maths

If hes been alone for more than a year then that shouldnt be a problem, its normal for him to be less active with no playmates. I would have the other top tooth clipped back until the other one grows back unless its root is gone too then its possible that he will need his all 4 of his front teeth removed and have to eat mashed food.
Where did the blood around his eye come from? Does it keep coming back?
Your gerbil needs to see a vet
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

The blood was only one time around the eye, it was the day after a part of this tooth broke off. Then the day after the whole tooth was gone. While the day before it was still there (just half the tooth). I gave him some hardfood etc. He seems to handle eating it. However he does keep moving his teeth around, as if he is trying to get it back in place. Also put a box for tests in his cage, to see if he'd still tear it apart and he did. I dont think the root of the tooth is gone, since.. it was first a broken tooth, then the whole tooth was gone next day, I guess it fell out. So yeah he does eat, just worried about him missing a tooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 AM
I am allergic to maths

If hes eating fine then it should be fine, my only concern is that his bottom tooth could grow straight up into his gum, just make sure that he has something to grind his teeth on, or have his teeth clipped monthly
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
is a little "special"

Yeah, I would be worried abou this remaining teeth being overgrown too. Gerbils (and other small animals) keep their teeth down by constantly grinding them against eachother when they eat, and if he doesnt have anything to grind his remaining teeth against they will get overgrown... and I dont think just giving him a stick or some thing to chew on will cut it.
Did he see a vet when his tooth fell out? He needs too. Without antibiotics, he could get a nasty infection or an abcess. You also need to talk to your vet about trimming his teeth if he needs it.
As for the blood around the eye... If he isnt injured there, he could have gotten some on his paws from his mouth when he was cleaning himself and wiped it there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Are you sure it was blood around the eye? If a rodents eye becomes irritated, the eye produces a red discharge which looks like blood but it isn't

About the teeth. Your gerbil needs a vet. If an infection occurs, he may stop eating as it's too painful. Also, the remaining teeth will grow and eventually stop him from eating. He won't be able to open his mouth with long teeth.
A vet will need to trim his teeth every so often. But also remember that some vets will refuse to do this bcause of the quality of life and the impact the anasthetic will have on the gerbil.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

He refuses to eat now.. he tried a sunflowerseed but he dropped it after 10 sec then just sat on the couch looking very sad. Then i gave him some bread + apple pieces and luckily he can eat that. About a vet.. there isnt really one in the neighbourhood so my mom has to take me by car, but she told me to wait for his tooth to show any signs of regrowing.. Which might actually not even happen.. Also noticed today his lower teeth are growing fast.. Is there a way to cut them back yourself? That's my biggest concern now, rodentzrule noted me about it.. Now some days later his bottom teeth are really getting large (almost same size as his top tooth). So is there a way for me to cut them back? My mom also thinks a vet cant help an animal so small as a gerbil.. Ill just keep begging to go there (money isnt the problem)
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I am allergic to maths

I honestly wouldnt reccomend it but if it comes down to you could cut his teeth with nail clippers but make sure they are both the same length.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't clip his teeth yourself. You could accidentally snip the nerve which would we agonising.

A vet can help any animal. I have had my vets treat my dwarf hamsters. Just because gerbils are small, doesn't mean that a vet won't treat them
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:26 PM
is a little "special"

I would avoid clipping his teeth your self if you can. If you clip them, chips from his teeth could be swallowed, and the bacteria on them can cause very serious problems.
And a good vet could really help your gerbil! Try to find a vet that specializes in exotic animals/"pocket pets". Will your mom take you if you pay for it yourself? Mine always does

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Well the accident of my gerbil came in a very shitty period for me (I borrowed alot of money alrdy of my parents) so I have like nothing myself, and they ofc refuse to pay now. In the end they will pay, cause they cant take the whining. But I have the idea it'll be to late then. The bottom teeth grow too fast...so real happy now.. was already shitty, now its even worse .. sorry for language just can describe it any other way.. he never had anything in 3 years.. and now in the worst period for me ever, a nightmare has arrived.

Last edited by force33; 08-21-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: lang
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

I made a real crappy drawing of what would happen if he wont get his teeth clipped, and she told me to phone the vet tomorrow so maybe victory but she doesnt really take it serious yet. And dad keeps saying they cant help my gerbil ...
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I am allergic to maths

LOL! Thats amazing... You should tell the vet that you need a same day appointment or ASAP
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 PM
is a little "special"

Yay! Good luck taking him! I hope he gets better

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

I checked his teeth just now, and the bottom ones are almost in his upper jaw, what should I do? the vet is closed on saturday here.. it opens monday again D: what do i do? I just noticed he cant eat apples anymore aswell.....

Last edited by force33; 08-22-2009 at 04:41 AM.

Tags
gerbil