wondering if two robos can be kept in one cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

wondering if two robos can be kept in one cage?

First of all let me just start off by saying that this is totally hypothetical and I have not actually gotten any hamsters as of just yet. Expcept for my lil winter white pigglet.
This thought kind of occured in my mind not to very long ago cause I was considering the idea of getting another hamster or possibly even two at some point in the future. I have really enjoyed keeping Pigglet and would love to see what having other different kinds of hamsters is like, and the lil robos just seem very energetic and playful, so I thought this would probably be the next kind of hamster I would look into.
I had heard that Dwarfs can be easier to house in pairs then syrains, and many times on hamster message boards I will see people with pairs of robos if this is my goal for right now what would all recommend I try to do now before I get the hamsters to better prepare myself to getting them.
I am looking into going to school to study for veterinary technology in probably a few months depending on how well the application process goes, I will either be going to St.louis or Kansas City for school so probably I will try to get myself settled from the move and then look at getting the lil ones after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am pretty sure that you can, especially if they are bought from the same tank (or better yet litter) but they can grow up to be territorial and there is no real way of telling if they will fight in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 AM

from what i have read, you can only house them together if they are littermates.
I asked the same question on a hamster forum. I wish I could get my little Pebbles a playmate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:27 AM

i have always been under the idea that robos are the friendliest of hamsters when it comes to people or other hamsters i know somebody that has 7 robos not litter mates in a 40 gal tank they love each other if you give them enough space in the cage to have some alone time now and again and their own area i believe that they will be fine of course it will make things go easier on the little guys if they are used to each other (from the same cage or litter) but that is with really any animal or you can slowly introduce them if you dont get two from the same cage try not to get one that is alone and then another one that has buddies cause the one that was alone might not accept company
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
from what i have read, you can only house them together if they are littermates.
I asked the same question on a hamster forum. I wish I could get my little Pebbles a playmate.
I would totally be okay with trying to get them from a breeder but I have had very lil luck with finding actual hamster breeder most of the time in my area its easier to find them out of pet stores. But I really would like to try and get two if at all possible but I am un sure of how or where to look for hamster breeders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethammies View Post
i have always been under the idea that robos are the friendliest of hamsters when it comes to people or other hamsters i know somebody that has 7 robos not litter mates in a 40 gal tank they love each other if you give them enough space in the cage to have some alone time now and again and their own area i believe that they will be fine of course it will make things go easier on the little guys if they are used to each other (from the same cage or litter) but that is with really any animal or you can slowly introduce them if you dont get two from the same cage try not to get one that is alone and then another one that has buddies cause the one that was alone might not accept company
Thats honestly what I thought would be the best thing to do to just give them a lot of space. And if worse comes to worse buying to cages at once that are inter connected if they do become territorial for any reason or another I can just separate the cages and let them have their own spaces. But I would like to try and track down a robo breeder close by to me, see if the litter mate theory is a working one or not.

Last edited by kala83; 09-30-2009 at 05:32 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They can live together but just be aware that sometimes they might fight and need to be separated. Most pairs work out fine, it's just that sometimes certain hamsters just won't get along for whatever reason. Try to get littermates if possible .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM

i read the list of animales you have if sam is a parakeet from the picture a good way to tell other than blood test is the skin that runs across the top part of the beak
boy (SOMETIMES) = blueish to purpleish and
girl (SOMETIMES)= brownish to pinkish
not 100% but has been proven successful
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

we think she is a girl since her upper beak has remained pink and never turned blue, we were told that was the main way to tell their sex but no one told us how long it takes for it too change color.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 PM

from what the vet made it sound like if its pink it will never turn blue or purple baby girls can start out pink and stay that way or start out brown and change to pink
and baby boys can start out purple and stay that way or start out blue and change to purple

Tags
robos