Young hamster not growing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Question Young hamster not growing

I found this forum looking around for information about one of my young hamsters. I'll lay out what I can and hopefully someone may be able to guide me to some information

My two Winter Whites had 7 babies on Nov. 29. Two of them went to their new home at 3 weeks of age, so I'm not sure right now how big they are. I gave another one of them to my dad's girlfriend's son when it was 4 weeks old. I then left the one girl with her mother and put the other 3 boys in their own cage. I was away for two weeks and came back to all of my babies being full grown and fat, but the one I gave to my "step brother" is still the same size.

Now to add another twist to this: Pip, the father, is sort of... retarded. I don't mean that in a rude way, but he really does have some kind of problem. We believe he's blind and he likes to stand up, stare into space, and fall over on his back. He also sleeps on his back a lot. The "runt" seems to be displaying similar behaviour; he stands up and stares off into space, sleeps on his back, and just seems a bit off. All the other babies act normally.

I'm thinking maybe this little guy inherited something from Pip? I was thinking of adding more fatty seeds (Pumpkin, Cantalope, etc) to his diet for a few weeks to see if that bulks him up a bit. Has anyone else every experienced this?

Any information would really be appreciated! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Was this a planned litter?

I suspect that the little hamster was probably the runt of the litter, they tend to be much smaller.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Yes, this was a planned litter. We were fully prepared for the little guys and are very happy to have them!

That's what I was thinking. He's very active, his eyes are nice and bright, and he drinks and runs a lot. He does seem a bit thin though and that's what really worries me. I've never had experience with runts before; is their health compromised? Up until he was seperated he appeared to be growing at the same rate as his siblings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 PM

Their health can be compromised, it depends on each individual case. I wouldn't advise using that male for breeding again. If you suspect that he is blind, it's not a good idea to breed from him, you don't want that genetic trait being passed down.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

We only wanted to breed them once and as such, Pip is retired from breeding. I'm going to see if I can have his owner change his diet and maybe get him a different water bottle (doesn't look like he's getting enough water out of it). I appreciate the replies, thank you!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

im not sure but arent hamsters like rats arent they suppose to stay with the mom till there 5 to 6 weeks ??

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
im not sure but arent hamsters like rats arent they suppose to stay with the mom till there 5 to 6 weeks ??
No, they leave their mother at 3 weeks of age and are ready for sale at 6 weeks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ah ok was just curious

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, dwarves ween at 16-18 days and mine did not go to their new home until I was sure they were eating solids (trust me, they were gobbling it down!). For a little while (10 days old) the mother wasn't too keen on nursing them so I was trying to ween them on soft veggies. She went back to nursing but at around 12 days they were stuffing their cheeks!

Tags
hamster, not eating, runt, winter white