Youngins Fighting? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Youngins Fighting?

just a quick question. i have 7 2 week old Dwarfs, is it normal for them to fight? or are they just playing? i usually break it up am i supposed to or are they stating whos dominate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 PM

Dwarf hamsters are very loud when they are deciding who's boss. When truly fighting, they will form a tight ball and bite each other, when they are "play fighting" usually one lays on it's back and the other on top and they scream and "slap" each other with their paws. 2 weeks old hams usually don't fight, but "play fight"... However, in my experience, they need a lot of space when housed in groups, as in small space they tend to fight more. I had one mom that used to get really mean when her babies were 3 weeks cause they wouldn't leave her alone. They are moody little creatures those dwarf hamsters... lol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, im a new hammy mom.. this is actually her 2nd litter and she seems to know a lil more about how to raise them i guess.. shes not as protective, i have them in a 35 G Aquar. do you think thats enough room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:24 PM

Since you will be taking the males out in just a few days, I would just give them more activity in the meantime- some boxes with holes cut in to hide and play peekaboo in, tp rolls to run though and scatter food and veggie treatsall around. It makes a lot more to have to move out of the way when you are working on taming them every day, but will keep them busy. My experience with Syrian pups (I've only ever had and still have one dwarf- but much more syrian experience) is they get very rambunctious in the evening and I always had a handful of diced veggies ready to throw in when the squealing started. Good luck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm supposed to wean them at 3 or 4 weeks of age?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 PM

They will start mating around 24-28 days old- you will want to seperate them before then.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

One Pet store said if they had room, they'd take tem at 4 weeks or something.. i can leave the females in with the mom right?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Please don't give them to a pet store. Put an ad in the paper and make flyers- and charge a token ammounth for them to discourage unscrupulous reptile-owners looking for free snakefood. Just don't give them to a store so you have no idea what terrible place they might end up.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

The pet store is a Reputable, ive done my research on them.. it'll be fine
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 AM

Well, I hope you aren't planning on making more babies if it is just to support the petshop industry.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

ok, I'm not on here to Argue about where my litter is going. the pet store is a "mom and pop" pet store.. whom my Family knows. this post wasnt intended on a heated discussion about where they are going. it was a post about Fighting. easy now take a deep breath and calm yourself please thank you

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, pet store