Anyone ever use "Yesterday's News"" small animal bedding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Question Anyone ever use "Yesterday's News"" small animal bedding?

Anyone ever use "Yesterday's News"" small animal bedding?

It comes in a purple bag, and is not litter, I suppose.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with it. If it holds down odors ar well as the rabbit litter does it might be good for my mice and dwarfs. __________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

I use YN for my rats, love it! I get the stuff labeled for cats, it's the same stuff, but it's on sale a lot more and the small animal stuff never is.

But I like it a lot more than Carefresh and aspen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Playful Pup

I use it with my hedgehog and love it. It does not have a strong scent, absorbs well, and has no risk of mites. I only use it in the litter pan, I don't know that it would be soft/comfy enough for an animal to walk on it constantly.

~Carolyn~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Mom and Slave to:

Chloe

Pierre

Mario

Rufus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

>> I don't know that it would be soft/comfy enough for an animal to walk on it constantly. <<

Yea, that's the question. But if the mice do OK with corn cob this should be OK. I suppose I will try it when next I need some new bedding. The dwarfs (two groups of four) do produse
a lot of urine that dries hard as a rock, and the male mice tank does smell quicker than most others.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've heard that the corn cob is a big no-no. It can cause bumblefoot in small animals... I would worry about the yesterday's news doing the same thing... I've heard that Cell-Sorb works well, though I've never personally tried it... Is it any softer? Maybe mix the two with Carefresh??

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I used to use a recycled newspaper litter on the bottom of my mice cage...we don't have yesterdays news here but same thing basically. They always did fine on it but it you are worried you could put a layer of something softer on the top. I used shavings for a while but then got rid of the shavings and the litter still absorbed the smells with the shavings on top.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28
I've heard that the corn cob is a big no-no. It can cause bumblefoot in small animals... I would worry about the yesterday's news doing the same thing...
I have read many thousands of threads in the past several years about small rodents and I never heard that. I never heard of "Cell-Sorb" either.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
I used to use a recycled newspaper litter on the bottom of my mice cage...we don't have yesterdays news here but same thing basically. They always did fine on it but it you are worried you could put a layer of something softer on the top. I used shavings for a while but then got rid of the shavings and the litter still absorbed the smells with the shavings on top.
Exactly what I plan to do using the YN stuff as a substrate; aspen on top.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

I used to use pine in my cages, and then our vet recommended against it, as it was irritating one of our chinnies. I switched to YN and really liked it - but it's hard to find here (at least for the small animals). I just tried Cell-Sorb and I didn't like its odor -- it had a not nice stench to it I want to go back to Yesterday's News.

I did hear that it comes in two types for cats - one that is longer pellets and one that is shorter/softer pellets.

Chinmom to :
Trinity (standard grey), Trillian (hetero beige), Tequila (mosaic),
Speedy (hetero beige) and Batman (standard grey)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

So, I could not get Small Animal bedding YN, so I use the YN rabbit litter, whcih some say is almost exactly the same. I break it up into smaller pieces and use a thin layer as a substrate under the aspen. I think it cuts down on the mice smell.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:53 PM

i just use whats on sale! and im good till next century!!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 AM

I wouldn't use it after seeing this:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/mor...erdaynews.html

Have had numerous people tell me they found odd stuff like that too...I mean, floor sweepings?! Come on. I guess if the animal didn't have contact with the litter somehow it would be okay. But for the price, might as well buy Aspen or something.

Lauren and the Fuzzbutts

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Newborn Pup

yikes! I sometimes buy that!

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Aspen would be a mess. I have used the YN for the rabbit's litter box for months and it works pretty well. I think I get 10 liters for $8.49. Not bad. Controls odors. I have never seen it as a small animal bedding, although it might be the same stuff shaped differently.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Playful Pup

I've used it for guinea pigs and hamsters. However I don't really like it, works ok, but it gets to smelling really bad after a while. Also pretty expensive when you have a C&C cage, however I found out a way to cut price in my area you can buy it cheaper at a feedstore it's called Crowns Animal Bedding $8 for 40 lbs and it looks and smells the same. I just don't like it as bedding (works good in the litter box for my guinea pig), I currently use wood pellets and pine shavings for bedding, there's a lot of pros and cons to that too.

Tags
corn cob, guinea pig, litter box, litter pan, male mice, pine shavings