Calphalon for your bird ...and you! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Product Reviews Find a great product to let other owners know about? Post it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

Calphalon for your bird ...and you!

As many of you know, pots and pans with teflon in them are BAD for birds.

Teflon is technically polytetra-flouro ethylene (PTFE).

ANY and ALL pans labeled "non-stick" can be assumed to have PTFE in them. They can give off toxic amounts of gas at lower temps than we once thought. Some studies have shown gas release at temps lower than 275 degree F.

Under a broiler, or on a burner, temps can EASILY exceed 600 degrees!!

When heated, they give off a whole multitude of bad things. These include the following gasses: TFE (tetrafluoroethylene), HFP (hexafluoropropene), OFCB (octafluorocyclobutane), PFIB (perfluoroisobutane), carbonyl fluoride, CF4 (carbon tetrafluoride), TFA (trifluoroacetic acid), trifluoroacetic acid fluoride, perfluorobutane, SiF4 (silicon tetrafluoride), HF (hydrofluoric acid). Other gasses are similar, or the equivalent, of the toxic agents used in chemical warfare.

In addition, they give off a variety of particulates that are almost as toxic.

For those of us who love to cook, this can be challenging under some circumstances, and a royal PITA in others.

There are a few alternatives for the die-hard chefs among us. Aluminum, Iron, Stainless steel and Copper in various combinations and alloys are all we have to work with.

Of these, I have come to love some Stainless steel, and a whole lot of Aluminum ...Hard Anodized Aluminum, that is ...namely Calphalon Hard Anodized.

I have a couple of skillets and a sauce pan or two made of this stuff, and I LOVE it. It is chemically inert under most circumstances, so acidic foods have no effect on it. It is very hard to damage (not that you'll try..) and is considered "stick-resistant".

While not exactly non-stick, it's pretty darn close. I can fry an egg ..cook it on one side, and with a practiced flip, cook the other side without the use of a spatula ...(any eggs on the floor are the fault of the cook, NOT the cookware ..despite my protestations at the time!)

There is no "seasoning" like an iron skillet (I have one of these I love too), and it seems to get better with age.

You clean it with a green scrubber. (No dishwasher ...it'll damage the surface and void the warranty.)

You can buy this type of Calphalon pretty cheap in some places, just look around on the internet. In the mall stores it's pretty high priced.

Calphalon's newest entry in the "stick resistant" market is called Calphalon One Infused Anodized. I have not tried this, although I have seen it, and it looks slicker than the original hard anodized.

In an email from their customer service, I was informed this:
Quote:
Calphalon One Infused Anodized is not non-stick and does not contain polytetra-flouro ethylene.
That's great news for those of us who cook. ..and have avians in our immediate family!

Now I will admit that cooking with "stick resistant" takes some getting used to. Food can and does stick under certain circumstances. However, I've never had problems cleaning my pans after a little soak in the sink.

They will last longer than non-stick, and you can use metal utensils with them. Hard Anodized is about 20% harder than stainless steel. So you will damage the steel tools before damaging the surface of your pan!

All in all, I love Calphalon. If you are a chef at heart like me, you'll like what you can do with it. I also use some of the Calphalon Stainless steel cookware. It is heavy, heats evenly, and looks pretty darn sharp up there on the stove!

If you'd like more discussion on this, please ..."egg" me on! I'd be glad to talk on it as much as you'd like!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Bob!! (My husband & wallet thanks you too )

I just checked out some of the pricing & was truly amazed!! I'm sold!!
ACK- money in one pocket out the other

As soon as I order them & try them out I will let you know what I think!

I am excited to see that not only do they have cookware BUT bakeware also!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Very nice review!

I've been a fan of Calphalon, and knowing that they do anodizing, I'm a bigger fan. Then again, that's what one of the companies I work for does - anodizing (amongst other things).

Chinmom to :
Trinity (standard grey), Trillian (hetero beige), Tequila (mosaic),
Speedy (hetero beige) and Batman (standard grey)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thumbs up

OK I've received all the pans that I ordered!!

I got the hard anodized aliminum ones with the exception of the backing sheets those have a non-stick finish, but are NOT teflon.

I wanted to used them a while before forming a solid opinion & I mist say...

I LOVE THEM!!!

These are by farn the best pans I have ever owned! I will admit the on some of the frying pans the handles get a little warm to the touch- but I can deal with that.

There have been a couple times that I forgot to clean them right away after dinner & the surface still comes clean without having to "soak" them!!

If you can afford them (they aren't that pricy to be honest, but a bit more than the 5.00 pans at Walmart/Target etc.) they are worth EVERY PENNY!

I give these pans (2 of those are from my hubby )
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

wow i read this and sort of freaked out heh... is there any information that i can print out about this and give it to my mom... Is it toxic to humans... i would say if its toxic to animals of any kind its toxic to us to... i was just curious. thanks

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

Here is a good place to start..

http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/...php?prodtype=1

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.